General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil, a weird question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 10:51 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil, a weird question

A while back, about 18 months or so ago, when I bought my RK, I had no spare oil in the shed, and went to the dealer for a bottle of Syn3. They were out of stock of litre bottles, so one of the techs filled an empty bottle from the workshop drum for me. He even wrote syn3 on the bottle in marker pen, so I am fairly confident he put the correct oil in the bottle. It sat in the shed un-needed since then.

I recently laid the softy up for the winter and bought three new bottles of Syn3 rather than use the old bottle I had already, for the oil change.

I decanted some of the new, and old into a half litre bottle to take on my winter road trip and found that the oil from the workshop drum is a different colour, to that in the new litre bottles. Or should I say shade of colour. The old stuff is very much lighter in colour. Viscosity seems about the same.

So why the colour difference?

I know HD outsource the oil manufacture. Have they changed manufacturers?
Didn't Syn3 use to be part synthetic?

Anyhow I would be interested to know the answer. It is winter after all, and I'm bored.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:00 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
,,,,, Didn't Syn3 use to be part synthetic? ,,,
I thought they called it Syn3 because its group III. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:17 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by HKMark23
I thought they called it Syn3 because its group III. Sorry, couldn't resist.
I have no idea what that means.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:23 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default It might be fine, but then again.....

They were out of stock of litre bottles, so one of the techs filled an empty bottle from the workshop drum for me. He even wrote syn3 on the bottle in marker pen, so I am fairly confident he put the correct oil in the bottle.
I wouldn't trust it! I wouldn't pour anything from a previously to me opened container into my bike, car or lawnmower! It might be fine, but then again.....

Old 01-01-2016, 11:29 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
I wouldn't trust it! I wouldn't pour anything from a previously to me opened container into my bike, car or lawnmower! It might be fine, but then again.....
I agree. I switched my bikes over to Amsoil partly because I did not trust the bulk oil the dealer was selling me. Amsoil from the same dealership comes in a nice sealed bottle (and my FB shifted a little better after switching).

Old 01-01-2016, 11:30 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Yes I agree, but then where do you draw the line. If you are tied to dealer servicing for warranty, do you stand over the tech in the workshop whilst he does the oil change to see that he puts the correct oil in it, from a clean measuring jug or whatever?

I never actually had to use the oil, but was more interested to see why, if both oils were Syn3 separated by a year or so of manufacture, there would be a colour change.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:37 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Dealer probably sold you exactly what they use for oil changes for their customers, maybe the bulk oil is dyed a different color, maybe they changed color at some point in time. Why would they cheat you?
You either trust them or you don't, if you don't, dump the oil.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:43 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Dealer probably sold you exactly what they use for oil changes for their customers, maybe the bulk oil is dyed a different color, maybe they changed color at some point in time. Why would they cheat you?
You either trust them or you don't, if you don't, dump the oil.
No they wouldn't cheat me. I've worked with a couple of the guys there, and they all know me.
I think the colour change is most likely, but wanted it confirmed. It would make sense to make it a shade darker, so it would be easier to see the level after an oil change.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,781 Posts

I would dump it at AutoZone recycle. No big deal. Over the years, I have noticed same brand oil will differ in color just like the last Folgers coffee taste different then the last. Bet it's their standard bulk oil. Only the big man knows what's in his bulk tank. SYN in my older 2008 Harley genuine Accs and Part says SYN is a blend of three synthetic base stocks.. Know this is going to make this an oil thread but look at the new owner manuals for Harleys. SYN is now the the second recommendation for transmissions and primary on nearly all new Harleys except the CVO manual line.. Their Formula + is a better choice if you trust their engineers. I do.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:28 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

I have no idea what that means.

Group IV and V oils are undisputed synthetics. Group III is more controversial, being a highly refined dino product that won the legal right to be called "synthetic" in North America. Group II etc. is dino.

Quick Reply: Oil, a weird question