General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does color matter to you?

Old 01-02-2016, 12:10 AM
CityRider76
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does color matter to you?

In terms of motorcycles, of course....

I have been ridding an FZ6 for a few years and have been thinking of getting a harley for a while now. Still can't decide on which one yet, but I'm sure it'll happen sometime this year. Anyway, when I first got my FZ, I really didn't like that it was red, but it grew on me and now I really don't care about it. Over the last few months, as I look at Harley's on craigslist I found a wide glide recently that had everything I wanted on it, but it was yellow. A yellow wide glide. Doesn't necessarily look bad, but yellow?

I love the looks of a yellow on certain machines. For example, I would have no problems buying a yellow GSX-R1000 or any other sport bike in that color, but a cruiser? Not sure why, but I would have a problem owning a cruiser that was yellow.

Any one else feel this way? I know that many riders don't want their bike to look like the 'cookie cutter harley', but would you want a yellow harley?

Old 01-02-2016, 12:17 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,473 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Certain Harleys look good in yellow, some look hideous. it depends on how much "painted parts" are on the bike. Yellow Sporty or Superglide OK; yellow Ultra definite NO!

I had a yellow Vette & it would be my first choice if I were buying a new one nowadays. A yellow pickup or Crown Vic...definitely NOT!

Would NOT buy a bike if I didn't like the color, unless it was the only one available.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:18 AM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

I have a few favorite colors but I have seen other colors on bikes that I would have never thought would look good but I actually liked them. So I would have to see the color on a bike to decide.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:29 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've had mostly black because I don't care for bright colors. I do like the dark, blood red color. I missed getting a dark red Breakout by a week. Black was all they had when I got mine.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:36 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,857 Likes on 4,111 Posts

Stock paint colors are nice but, for me, I don't want my bike to look like thousands of others on the road. The good news... paint is one of the easiest things to change. Yes, it will cost you but it sets your bike apart from the others.

Also, it isn't just raw color. Shade and tint can make a difference. For example, I wouldn't want a bike with the bright yellow but the light yellow would actually look nice with brown leather.

Old 01-02-2016, 01:58 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Of course color matters. Some colors I really like. Reds are ones I like. Black is like but not my favorite. I like yellow on some bikes. Yellow/black yet on others? Orange can be alright. I like some greens.

That said, I wouldn't own a purple bike. I dislike white unless it's combined with black. I am not a fan of blue. I abhor sand.

Yes, color matters.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:17 AM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I've always been partial to black, but red and/or white bikes have started to grow on me the past year or two. I'm have a pretty neutral feeling toward most other colors. The only ones I actively dislike on bikes are pink and some shades of green.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:05 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Try and sell a yellow Harley, and you'll really start hating the color.

Old 01-02-2016, 03:31 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

As others have said some bikes and cars look OK in yellow. I agree, and also that they might be really hard to sell.
Years ago I picked up a used Sportster at a really good price, a shipmate was getting deployed, somebody had given that bike a really nice pearl glow white paint job.
I gave it spray can gloss black paint job and flipped that Sportster in about 2 days and made about 2 grand.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:51 AM
yellowpearlfb
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=CityRider76;14707565]In terms of motorcycles, of course....

I have been ridding an FZ6 for a few years and have been thinking of getting a harley for a while now. Still can't decide on which one yet, but I'm sure it'll happen sometime this year. Anyway, when I first got my FZ, I really didn't like that it was red, but it grew on me and now I really don't care about it. Over the last few months, as I look at Harley's on craigslist I found a wide glide recently that had everything I wanted on it, but it was yellow. A yellow wide glide. Doesn't necessarily look bad, but yellow?

I love the looks of a yellow on certain machines. For example, I would have no problems buying a yellow GSX-R1000 or any other sport bike in that color, but a cruiser? Not sure why, but I would have a problem owning a cruiser that was yellow.

Any one else feel this way? I know that many riders don't want their bike to look like the 'cookie cutter harley', but would you want a yellow harley?[/QUOTE]

Uhhh...yeah!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does color matter to you?