General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security and Siren system.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,801 Likes on 758 Posts
Default Security and Siren system.

I bought my 14 SG last August. It came with no security system. Never owned a bike with a security system, If I was gonna be away from the bike I'd just remove the key or lock the ignition. I hate locking the forks which is the only way to keep anyone from riding off with my SG.

Got an appointment tomorrow to have the HD smart security system installed. I've been thinking about having the siren installed while their putting the security system on.

Appreciate any thoughts if it would be worth the extra $100.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

How much is your bike worth to you in comparison to the cost of the $100? Besides, I bet that you would really freak somebody out if they messed with your bike and all of a sudden a siren took off.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I decided against the siren. I can't imagine what it would be like if I were out in the garage at night and decided to sit on or move the bike, forgot that the fob wasn't close by, and set off the siren at 1:00 in the morning.

And then had to frantically try to enter the pin with the stupid frickin' turn signal buttons, or run to get the fob.

Nope.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:31 PM
Kevin714
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,801 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
How much is your bike worth to you in comparison to the cost of the $100? Besides, I bet that you would really freak somebody out if they messed with your bike and all of a sudden a siren took off.
That's the thing...I've owned a lot of bikes over the years, but never had as much invested in any as this one.

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I decided against the siren. I can't imagine what it would be like if I were out in the garage at night and decided to sit on or move the bike, forgot that the fob wasn't close by, and set off the siren at 1:00 in the morning.

And then had to frantically try to enter the pin with the stupid frickin' turn signal buttons, or run to get the fob.

Nope.

I keep my keys in my pocket all the time.

The siren can be set so it doesn't chirp every time you step away from your bike can't it?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:31 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Do the siren yourself.

I put two on my Heritage.
Installation time was about 30 minutes.

Search the softail forum for a how-to thread.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717358021

Old 01-05-2016, 04:03 AM
DianneB
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Years ago I had a 1983 FLH with a Radio Shack wireless alarm. I didn't use the siren function but the pager would tell me if someone screwed with the bike. On one trip it saved my bike. In the middle of the night in a motel parking lot the alarm went off in my room and the thieves heard it through the window and beat it - they didn't want to stick around and see who (or what) came out to check on the bike!

I now have a Gorilla 900 system on my '02 FXD and use the pager function any time I am out of sight of the bike. I have the "local alarm" just set to beep and anybody tampering knows they have been detected. It hasn't been 'tested' yet but I don't park in questionable areas.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:40 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I had the whole deal on my last bike but just have the basic security system on this one. I guess I was more paranoid with the first one, since I don't have a garage.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:50 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Mine came with factory alarm but no siren. I decided against having the audible alarm installed for a couple of reasons.

It may scare off a petty thief from trying to steal your ride or something attached to it. But it will not prevent a pro. Generally the good professional thieves will just shove your ride over onto a low trailer fitted with a cushion (mattress or other material) floor. They really don't care if an alarm goes off or not because they are gone with the bike in about 10 seconds.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Why wouldn't you want to scare off petty theives, and morons out just dinging around, which if I had to guess, are more common than "professional" theives?

Taking no safeguards simply because one or two determined slime ***** might not be detered is throwing in the towel, if you ask me.

You can always buy the siren and pager later if you decide you want it. Get it from one of the online HD dealers, and install it yourself, it's very easy. And you'll possibly save a few bucks on the parts and not have to pay for install labor.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:38 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

If you are getting a siren, get the premium one. Then you can add a pager to it. if you are at an event, or asleep in a hotel room, a siren won't do you any good.

Quick Reply: Security and Siren system.