General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lately the Harley line up is BORING!??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:55 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Lately the Harley line up is BORING!??

Ok i guess i could just keep this opinion to myself. But does anyone else feel like the HD line up is boring? I really been itching to get another bike. Something cool with style to rip around on and be a nice show piece with character in my house when its parked. I mean i guess the Breakout looks ok but $19k they can keep it. Lol I guess its part of the reason im looking at American Customs. I really like some of the Custom made Bobbers ive been seeing out there with Revtech, S&S, and Ultima motors. I still have interest on a Custom bobber with a springer front end that i found. But im weighting all my options before i pull the trigger. What happened to all the Harley's that at least had some cool character from the factory like the Night train, 09 Springer CVO, Rocker C, Heritage Springer, CrossBones,Softail Custom, ect.... I mean even those needed a little Custom love but they wee 10x nicer then whats out now for the most part!! Idk

Old 01-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah their recent model offerings has been pretty boring. I think it has a lot to do with Willie G and others designers (like the guy who designed the Indian Scout) that are no longer being employed by the moco and their declining customer base/financial difficulties. I think they are at a loss on how to appeal to a new customer while maintaining their image. I'm just glad I got my softails when I did because IMO they were some of the best if not the best motorcycles Harley has ever produced. That's I have no plans to ever sale or trade them.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:18 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,054 Likes on 11,067 Posts

This model would eliminate some boredom.
Don't know why MOCO hasn't made one yet.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
Yeah their recent model offerings has been pretty boring. I think it has a lot to do with Willie G and others designers (like the guy who designed the Indian Scout) that are no longer being employed by the moco and their declining customer base/financial difficulties. I think they are at a loss on how to appeal to a new customer while maintaining their image. I'm just glad I got my softails when I did because IMO they were some of the best if not the best motorcycles Harley has ever produced. That's I have no plans to ever sale or trade them.
Yeah i hear ya.. To this day i HATE myself for selling my 09 Night Train. I wish i still had that bike. Had thoughts of picking up a used one. But there really hard to find for a good price with low miles. I just refuse to pay over 10K for a 8+ year old bike. Even looking for a used Rocker C but they want stupid money for those too! Probably just going to end up buying a Custom Bobber.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:20 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When new bike sales tank, the first things to go are the lower production models that don't make as much money. I'm sure sales figures have driven the current line up more than the cool factor has.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
When new bike sales tank, the first things to go are the lower production models that don't make as much money. I'm sure sales figures have driven the current line up more than the cool factor has.
The sales figures would be higher if they had more appealing bikes in the line up. Im sorry but when a guy in a garage can build a more appealing bike to me then Harley can THERE IS A PROBLEM!!! Lol

Old 01-07-2016, 02:34 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
The sales figures would be higher if they had more appealing bikes in the line up. Im sorry but when a guy in a garage can build a more appealing bike to me then Harley can THERE IS A PROBLEM!!! Lol
Gross profit may increase, but after you account for design, development, marketing and everything else that goes along with bringing a product to market, you would most likely see a net profit decline.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Gross profit may increase, but after you account for design, development, marketing and everything else that goes along with bringing a product to market, you would most likely see a net profit decline.
But i dont think it would take that much. The Softail frame is perfect a is and the most desirable. Take that and put something cool together. Do a new Night Train with a springer front end or something! It will be made with existing parts. Dont really need design or development for bikes like that.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:46 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,118 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I just refuse to pay over 10K for a 8+ year old bike.
Can I ask "why" that bothers you?

Look at cars. A late 60's or early 70 Camaro or 'Cuda...they command quite big bucks. Even an early 70's Nova..they're climbing.

...now, granted...a difference between a 10 year old bike and a ~40year old car that's becoming a classic model...but....just to illustrate..a slightly higher price can be worth it.

My next bike will be an Evo generation Softail of some flavor, and I am fully willing to pay more for an older Evo than a slightly used stinkie twinkie.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 PM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Tailsfrommycrib
I think they're just being stubborn. They think more advertising will do the trick. They really think if they go down the road of some modern designs the old school folks will have a mass exodus. The fact is that won't happen. Some may get pissed. I don't think they're taking Polaris seriously, but Polaris has a great future plan. Different times... Different generation coming up.

Quick Reply: Lately the Harley line up is BORING!??