General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

couple or three helmet questions

Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 AM
Philphine
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default couple or three helmet questions

first, this helmet has caught my eye

http://www.jafrum.com/#/shop-by-bran...cc58-112805465

the price seems really good, and it has some features i like. i may run around the city and see if i can find one to eyeball and try on, but if not, does anyone have any experience with this model?

second, i've used those 1/2 mask type face protectors (the ones that come up to your ears) with a helmet, but trying to get it to stay in place while you put the helmet on never seems to work well. so i picked up a few close fitting full masks and this one seems like it would work best

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191756678106...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

has anyone tried this? do you end up needing a larger "winter" helmet that you can't really use any other time without a mask?

Old 01-08-2016, 10:37 AM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

I'm also looking for a new modular helmet to replace my current HJC Symax. I was interested in the Vega Vertice but after reading comments on this forum I decided to keep looking. Also, the Vertice is the heaviest (3.8 pounds) of all the modular helmets I've looked at so far. I would suggest you do a search for Vega helmet on the touring forum.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:43 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

On any helmet if you need to increase the size because of your mask would pretty much depend on the thickness of the fabric. If you are almost needing a larger size I would probably go ahead and bump it up.
Helmets are tricky to buy sight unseen. They all fit a little different so it's tough to get the right size. Sometimes no matter what they just don't fit either. Shaped wrong for your nugget, but perfect for the next guy.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,154 Posts

Buying a helmet online is very hard to do. Your doing the right thing by reading reviews first. No reviews then pass it up until you can tested it out at a dealer .

Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I've had three different modulars of fairly moderate price. The Scorpion Exo900, The Bell Revolution, and a Sedici Sistema. The Scorpion and Sedici are very good. The Bell I was very disappointed in considering the quality level and fit of my Bell MP4 I use for drag racing (car). It is a DANG noisy helmet with an air blast right to the mid face regardless of vent opening. I also had to go in and hack the cheek pads up so it would fit over my glasses.

After buying the Bell online, I've vowed to never buy a helmet I haven't tried on first.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

A cheap helmet will likely wear like a cheap helmet.

If one is going to buy cheap, it's best to buy locally so it can be tried on before the purchase.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:12 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Before deciding on a helmet write down your needs of one.
Use that checklist when looking.
If buying online, I recommend Revzilla for their video reviews.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmets

Old 01-08-2016, 02:06 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have a Cycle Gear store near you, that is a great place to try on a large selection of helmets. Always seem to be having sales on several.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:57 PM
Philphine
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ok, thanks. I guess it just confirms what seems right in the first place. there are a couple of cycle gear type stores in the city (don't know their exact names, but I've been by a couple of that type place). i'll try to get by one and see if they have this model to try. I might have a little guilt about using their store for fitting then buying online though.

Old 01-08-2016, 05:08 PM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Philphine
ok, thanks. I guess it just confirms what seems right in the first place. there are a couple of cycle gear type stores in the city (don't know their exact names, but I've been by a couple of that type place). i'll try to get by one and see if they have this model to try. I might have a little guilt about using their store for fitting then buying online though.
Cycle Gear has a store on Hurstbourne Pwy about a block South of Shelbyville Rd. on the East side of the street, stop by Mama's BBQ while you are there for some great ribs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: couple or three helmet questions