General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doable or stupid? Thanks for your help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 05:26 AM
Russell Peagler
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Doable or stupid? Thanks for your help

New member here. Looking for some advice. I'm a photographer from Tokyo. Born in South Carolina. I'm going to be taking pictures in the US from March to end of April. (45days).

I want to take a bike from SC to CA and then back from CA to SC. Round trip in 45 days.

I've never been on a bike. I've never owned a bike. I have a motorcycle permit.

My plan is as follows.
Buy the bike and get it registered and insured. Practice for a week or two and take and hopefully pass the license test. And then leave on the trip. I will take secondary roads. And will go south in March and north in April on the way home. I will of course buy all of the necessary protective gear. I am 35, I have a kid so needless to say I will be extremely careful. I am a very careful driver, I'm not the popping wheelies showing off type. What do you all think is this like an instant death sentence? Doable?

I'm looking at a 883 iron or sportster 48. I'm 6'4 and know it will be cramped, but all I can afford. I will be selling it when I'm done. Will be heading back to Tokyo.

I understand that it will be a tiring trip and cold in the north. I think that would add more fun to the situation. I climb mountains in the winter and sleep in a three season tent while doing so. Three months in Tibet, never on a bike. Three months in India 5 dollar hotels the whole time. Rode on the back of a bike there once. If that counts... Any help would be appreciated. I only have 45 days to get the license and do the trip. I could rent a car but that's not really an option for how I want to photograph the states. Long story.

Thank you,
Russell

Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 AM
Russell Peagler
Cruiser

And sorry for the long post.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 AM
BOBLAND
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't they have any training available in Tokyo? If you are unfamiliar with riding you are a risk to every rider in the areas you are practicing in. The risk in my opinion is not worth it. Insurance? . Seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:39 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Russell I have two words for you; Do It.

No matter how careful you are you're gonna die. If you're good with the fact that it could happen on this journey then you're good to go. Learning to ride a motorcycle and taking one across country loaded like a mule is a daunting task but not impossible. It probably wouldn't hurt to learn how to ride in Japan before you get over here. Heck, I think we even have members in Japan here.

As far as going cross country during the dates you mentioned I'd stay on the southern tier. March and April can be brutal in the mountains.

You're gonna get a lot of "you're crazy" and "it can't be done" answers so be your own judge. But I'll tell you this; there are THOUSANDS of riders here in the USA who know not much more than 1 down and 4 or 5 up (the gearbox) and they're getting away with it. Like I said before, not knowing you or your potential I'd say go for it; learn to ride before you get here, buy and wear good protective gear (for weather and crashing) and stick to riding during the day.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-19-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:42 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

You only live once.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:45 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

If you can, you need to delay the trip to a less hostile time of year, north in April, depending how far north, will bring certain rain, possible snow again depending how far North it is you are heading. As mentioned the mountain areas of this country are snow covered and not a place you want to ride a motorcycle in March, heck March is the best ski season in many areas.

Camera gear on a bike is a challenge in itself, especially a bike without hard saddle bags, add all the other gear you will need and it makes your idea a very challenging one indeed. I often carry a Nikon D800e and a second lens with me, make sure you have a good case for that camera and lens and even with that it will take a beating.

Now about jumping on a bike for the first time and riding coast to coast, now thats ballsy! Plan a route, and look at the average weather data for that route, weather spark has some real good data to review.

https://weatherspark.com/

Good luck and if you do go ahead with this ride safe

Last edited by HardRider1; 01-19-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:45 AM
Russell Peagler
Cruiser

To Bobland. I understand your concern. However. Don't most people practice on the roads. And as you know there are a lot of people who haven driven cars for years that drive like idiots. I have been looking for courses here, but the ones I've found are crazy expensive. Like 2,000 usd. The testing here is difficult, and expensive, too. I hear. I've never taken it so don't know.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,172 Likes on 5,604 Posts

My advice is go for it... but instead of a Sportster if it were me I would buy a used touring bike. You can find the 99-06 touring bikes for the same or less than you'll pay for a new Sportster. Trust me, the two bikes you mentioned in your post are not ideal for riding across country.

Last edited by Bubba Zanetti; 01-19-2016 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-19-2016, 05:48 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

I would suggest you at least find a buddy there in Japan who can teach how to operate a bike. Other than that, go for it.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:50 AM
Russell Peagler
Cruiser

Thanks for the comments. I was thinking of Yosemite for sure and New York. Of course if it's snowing I won't go and will go back farther south. Seems like this year will be a mild winter. I won't know until I go. As far as the tiring of riding that far and not on a cruiser... I'm kind of a smile in adversary unhappy when things are smooth type. I know none of you all know me, but like I said I have a kid so that will always be in my mind. I also graduated for three universities, so don't want to see all the money I paid for an education. And still paying for. Splattered on the road. I am a really defensive driver. In a car.

Quick Reply: Doable or stupid? Thanks for your help