General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG and ABS

Old 01-19-2016, 08:10 PM
fjimmy123
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SG and ABS

so am having issue trying to find a used SG am finding allot without ABS and few with abs, is there a big difference or should i just get a non abs.. this my first time owning a HD so am kinda clueless if its a big deal to have the abs..

thank you

jaime

Old 01-19-2016, 08:27 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,073 Likes on 487 Posts

There will, of course, be those that will swear that real bikers don't need ABS. And it's true, you don't NEED it, but hell, it can't hurt. If it saves your butt from hitting the blacktop one time, it's money well spent. Luckily I haven't NEEDED mine yet, but it's nice to know it's there.
All other things being equal, I'd get one with it, if I were you.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:15 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

For me, it's not how good of a rider you are or aren't, it's all the dumba$$ other drivers out there. Get the ABS if you can. There is a reason it's standard on cars now.

On my SGS my ABS has helped me a few times. Those times I was glad it was there.

Should get a break on your insurance too with ABS.

Pretty interesting article here as well:
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/brochures/m...o-ride-with-it

Old 01-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,361 Likes on 2,616 Posts

80% of riders think they are in the top 1% of all riders who can actually threshold break in a panic situation in less than ideal road conditions.

The bottom line is this: If ABS kicks in, you've made a mistake and ABS is saving your ***.

So if you are one of the delusional riders that think they can brake better than ABS in a panic situation, dont bother with ABS.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:49 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

If you can get ABS go for it. That is one of the things I miss from having sport bikes. That ABS is a life saver when a car pulls out of a parking lot between two other cars

Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
80% of riders think they are in the top 1% of all riders who can actually threshold break in a panic situation in less than ideal road conditions.

The bottom line is this: If ABS kicks in, you've made a mistake and ABS is saving your ***.

So if you are one of the delusional riders that think they can brake better than ABS in a panic situation, dont bother with ABS.
This.

I'm man enough to recognize that I need any advantage I can get when traffic, road conditions, and my own complacency conspire to kill me. ABS is worth every nickel.

GM

Old 01-19-2016, 11:36 PM
critter85
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,497 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Originally Posted by GroovusMagnus
This.

I'm man enough to recognize that I need any advantage I can get when traffic, road conditions, and my own complacency conspire to kill me. ABS is worth every nickel.

GM

Old 01-20-2016, 12:11 AM
Skogdog
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Been touring for close to 50 years...With and without ABS. When I bought my '10 SG, there were two identical--one with ABS, and the other without. That ABS saved my bacon a year and a half ago riding I-44 in rush hour thru St. Louis. I join the above opinions that on any given day you may not need it, but when you do, it's the cat's ***.....keithdu is absolutely right to say you are delusional if you think in a panic stop, you can do better than ABS.....

Old 01-20-2016, 03:33 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

On a new bike it is $795.

If the time comes when you really need it the most, and you don't have it, it's too late to write the check.

Not that it means squat, but I have been riding since 1967. I will not buy another bike without it.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:27 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

You live and ride with snowbirds, get the ABS. I'm on my 10th motorcycle, these bikes are heavy, I wouldn't ride without ABS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SG and ABS