General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seals In Primary

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 06:59 PM
ffatboy03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seals In Primary

I need some help, I am going to retorque the compensator nut on my 03 Fatboy.
While I'm in the primary I want to replace the starter jack shaft seal and the shifter seal. Looks pretty straight forward but my concern is the fact that I have a hydraulic clutch on the bike. If I pull the compensator and clutch basket as an assembly can I reinstall them without having to do anything with the clutch adjustment? Also does the push rod stay in or can I remove it from the primary side and reinstall it after the seals are changed. Looks like it is locked in on the other end with a retainer ring. Thanks for your help

Old 01-21-2016, 08:21 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,628 Likes on 4,624 Posts

clutch will not have anything to do with what you want to do. Remove the circlip from inside the clutch hub, and extract the brg and the rod all in one piece. You have to do that to get to the nut in the clutch basket. Don't forget that its an opposite thread! When you get it all back together, slide the rod and brg back inside the clutch hub. you will notice two ears on the brg, and they fit into the hub, reinstall the circlip and you are done. no clutch adjustment needed. hope that answers you question

to install all the seals you are talking about, you might just pull the inner primary off, the compensator is in a few pieces, depending on the one you have. You can pull the clutch hub off as one piece, but the comp will have to come out in pieces. make sure you have the shop manual. Also I don't know why you want to retighten the nut for the comp. are you suspecting its loose?

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 01-21-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:25 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

When I pull the clutch/compensator off I use a long zip tie that I run thru the compensator to keep the order of parts right.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:17 AM
ffatboy03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if it's loose, maybe more preemptive. Also, the more I read about that pesky shifter shaft seal and given the mileage on the bike I want to change that seal anyway.
Thanks to you guys who have replied so far.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Originally Posted by ffatboy03
Not sure if it's loose, maybe more preemptive. Also, the more I read about that pesky shifter shaft seal and given the mileage on the bike I want to change that seal anyway.
Thanks to you guys who have replied so far.
I understand, but In my line of work (a tech for Mercedes)I go by the rule: if its working don't fix it. Yes the shift shaft seal leaks, is yours? are you getting a lot of clunking in the primary area? take the outer off, and just see if its loose, if not button it back up, you're out a gasket and some fluid, if it is, then go for it. If your seal is leaking, then you will reseal everything, and its more involved. just be wise in your judgment.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:32 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
I understand, but In my line of work (a tech for Mercedes)I go by the rule: if its working don't fix it. Yes the shift shaft seal leaks, is yours? are you getting a lot of clunking in the primary area? take the outer off, and just see if its loose, if not button it back up, you're out a gasket and some fluid, if it is, then go for it. If your seal is leaking, then you will reseal everything, and its more involved. just be wise in your judgment.
Agreed - Sounds like you are planning to go to a lots of effort to correct something that isn't an issue. Outer Primary, check the chain tensioner, clutch adjustment, and a visual inspection. No metal shaving or other alarming things, button it back up and ride.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:40 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Originally Posted by TSheff
Agreed - Sounds like you are planning to go to a lots of effort to correct something that isn't an issue. Outer Primary, check the chain tensioner, clutch adjustment, and a visual inspection. No metal shaving or other alarming things, button it back up and ride.
he mentioned in the beginning that he has a hydraulic clutch, so no adjustment.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:51 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

he mentioned in the beginning that he has a hydraulic clutch, so no adjustment.
My bad - still to much effort for a non problem.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:00 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Originally Posted by TSheff
My bad - still to much effort for a non problem.
big time agree!!

Old 01-22-2016, 11:09 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

big time agree!!
Sure you can relate. I'm a technician and work on transmitters, controllers, and actuators. By policy we are required to operate and inspect at various interval - totally justified and logical. Annually we are required to disassemble, completely calibrate, and test all parameters. This is the equivalent of rebuilding an engine with 15K on it.
Yes I'll inspect, test, and record results, but after 40 years I'll be damned if I'll tear down a perfectly good anything - all I could do is create an issue not there, not improve it.

Quick Reply: Seals In Primary