General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter riding...people think I'm nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Winter riding...people think I'm nuts.

I know it's winter but I still try to ride. The temps here have only gotten below 20 only once . Usually its between 30 and 55 for a high. I got people asking me if it too cold but I tell them only if you don't bundle up for it and prepare. I usually just ride in town but will get on the hwy for the 6 miles to the other end at 70 mph. Most people give me wired stares or say I'm nuts but I love to ride and don't want to spend all winter doing nothing. One guy asked if I was dedicated. My answer was "Yup. Just cause it's cold I ain't going to let it stop me." At least I'm putting my coverall's to good use and it pretty comfy when I have them on.

Even though it not logical,I live 3 blocks from work but I still take the bike every chance I can get.

The only time I wont get out is when it's snowing,raining or icing. At least I have enough sense to not try it. I don't feel comfortable with the thought of riding on ice.Heck I think any one wouldn't like it,even in a car.

Any excuse will do just to get out and ride is better than cabin fever.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Glad to hear that you are enjoying your bike, Joe.

I assume you figured out your oil problem.

Snow on the ground here and expecting more.

Ride safe.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hippie49
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your bike, Joe.

I assume you figured out your oil problem.

Snow on the ground here and expecting more.

Ride safe.
Yes and no, most was inexperience playing it out but have learned from that. I have been monitoring it and so far no major lost oil. Thanks to everyone pointing out that oil was suppose to be checked hot. Still I haven't been able to track where the leak under the bike is coming from.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:26 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
The only time I wont get out is when it's snowing,raining or icing. At least I have enough sense to not try it. I don't feel comfortable with the thought of riding on ice.Heck I think any one wouldn't like it,even in a car.

Yeah, don't do the ice thing. I started out to work one day, about three weeks ago and didn't know there was ice out. Found out at the end of the street. Didn't go down but thought I might two different times pretty quick from leaving the driveway. I turned around and got the car.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:40 PM
jmn1960
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
I know it's winter but I still try to ride. The temps here have only gotten below 20 only once . Usually its between 30 and 55 for a high. I got people asking me if it too cold but I tell them only if you don't bundle up for it and prepare. I usually just ride in town but will get on the hwy for the 6 miles to the other end at 70 mph. Most people give me wired stares or say I'm nuts but I love to ride and don't want to spend all winter doing nothing. One guy asked if I was dedicated. My answer was "Yup. Just cause it's cold I ain't going to let it stop me." At least I'm putting my coverall's to good use and it pretty comfy when I have them on.

Even though it not logical,I live 3 blocks from work but I still take the bike every chance I can get.

same here unless unless it is wet and possible to freeze before It get off work (late shift) I ride

Old 01-21-2016, 02:46 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Joe, I to am called crazy for riding in the winter. I (we, if I can get others to join me) ride every Sunday to a restaurant within an hours distance. I also put on an annual "Freeze Your *** Off" ride each Jan. 1st

I can't justify spending $32+K for a vehicle and store it away 6 months every year.
The only stipulation is the roads have to be dry. Doesn't matter what the temps are.
I do have heated gear so I'm quite comfortable down into single digit temps. They come out at 30* and below.

The only thing that irritates me is listening to all the fair weather riders crying about how they can't wait for summer to come over and over again.
Oh well, at least I don't have to relearn how to ride all over again come summer.

It's even more fun now that I have a TriGlide - snow and ice don't bother me anymore.

One tip, spray your bike down (not on rotors) with S100 Corrosion Protectant works miracles against salt and corrosion.
I also change to 10-30 syn oil.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

It's the salt that bothers me the most. If it's going to be above freezing and I can wash the bike when I get back I'll ride. I'm warm enough with my heated liner and gloves so as long as the roads are dry, I'm good to go.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:46 PM
MikeRC
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Still riding here atleast a couple times a week. I bundle up pretty good with under armor pants, two pairs of socks and a hoodie under my carhart jacket if I'm going too far. I do get jealous of you guys with windshields and your heated gear though. Wont ride in snow or salt anymore and avoid rain this time of year whenever I can. Might invest in some heated gear next year or atleast a leather jacket. Everyone I know thinks I'm crazy but I cant stand seeing my sporty sit months at a time and still have a better time riding than I would driving my truck.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:00 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

About 15 years ago, a co-worker and I had a winter riding challenge. Most miles from November through March won.

I won, but I wouldn't do it again. Commuted to work pretty much every day I could.

I'm happy to get out a few times in the winter when the streets are dry, but there's no real incentive for me anymore to ride beyond the point of enjoying it.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:04 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I used to think I was nuts for wanting to go riding in winter, then I found these guys and they cured me of that feeling.,,,, http://www.polarbeargrandtour.com/

Quick Reply: Winter riding...people think I'm nuts.