General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Bar on Windshield for Tool Bag

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:45 PM
Maine Guide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Bar on Windshield for Tool Bag

I picked up a 99 Dyna Wide Glide that has a detachable windshield. Previous owner gave me a few extras the other day. Battery Tender Jr., Kick Stand Holder, manuals and a small cylindracal Harley leather bag. I have seen a similar bag mounted to a cross bar on the windshield to hold tools, etc. which would be handy, given that my DWG has no bags. However, this windshield has no cross bar (see attached pic). Any sources to purchase these cross bars separately? Hopefully this pic helps. You can see the tape measure stretched between the two existing bolts. It would seem that a cross bar could be threaded on there, if I can obtain one. Thanks all!

Attached Thumbnails Cross Bar on Windshield for Tool Bag-img_0620.jpg  
Old 01-22-2016, 08:42 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are wanting to use the bag for tools I think I would consider somewhere besides the windshield. A tool pouch seems a little heavy for there. If you want the bag for phone,smokes, etc. it would be easy enough to make a (sheet metal?) strap between those bolts to mount the bag.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:50 AM
Maine Guide
Novice

Originally Posted by popawcritter
If you are wanting to use the bag for tools I think I would consider somewhere besides the windshield. A tool pouch seems a little heavy for there. If you want the bag for phone,smokes, etc. it would be easy enough to make a (sheet metal?) strap between those bolts to mount the bag.
Thank you.

Yes, You are correct. May be a bit heavy for that location, and I probably could fashion one myself if it comes to it. Still hoping something of this nature is available on the market. Having bought this bike used from a guy who bought it at an estate sale, I am not sure if the cross bar was there to begin with but someone removed it at some point.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:10 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Mount that bag somewhere else such as under the headlight and be done with it.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:07 AM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

They sell the straps for the windshield but their almost equal the price of a new windshield.

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...012733&Ntk=All

I made one for a buddy using a piece of exhaust strap cut to size and formed to the contour of windshield, painted black, riveted to the bag then mounted on the bolts.

Was just thinking if it was very heavy the first big pot-hole you hit might crack the windshield.

Old 01-23-2016, 02:06 PM
Maine Guide
Novice

Originally Posted by popawcritter
They sell the straps for the windshield but their almost equal the price of a new windshield.

http://www.jpcycles.com/search/searc...012733&Ntk=All

I made one for a buddy using a piece of exhaust strap cut to size and formed to the contour of windshield, painted black, riveted to the bag then mounted on the bolts.

Was just thinking if it was very heavy the first big pot-hole you hit might crack the windshield.
Thank you!

Old 01-23-2016, 03:17 PM
popawcritter
Road Warrior

You're welcome.