General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape Hanger Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:47 PM
digidoggie18
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ape Hanger Fitment

Hello all,

I just started getting into bikes and bought a 2014 Fat Bob. I am wanting to do ape hangers because leaning forward with the stock bars agitates my right shoulder. I have heard the are much more comfortable as well. Basically I was wanting someone to chime in on what would be a good size. I'm a 6ft tall guy, my arms are long and I was thinking 14" bars might be the way to go however, I'm still learning to ride somewhat so I'm not trying to sacrifice handling with bars that are too tall...

Any opinions from anyone?

Old 01-23-2016, 03:50 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Body height isn't really a good measuring point b/c everyone's torso & arm reach is a little different. Best thing you can do is sit on the bike, place your hands in a position that feels comfortable and then have someone measure down to the top of your riser. This will give you a reference point for what size bar height to shoot for...good luck & welcome.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:01 PM
rgrmike14
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Body height isn't really a good measuring point b/c everyone's torso & arm reach is a little different. Best thing you can do is sit on the bike, place your hands in a position that feels comfortable and then have someone measure down to the top of your riser. This will give you a reference point for what size bar height to shoot for...good luck & welcome.
This pretty much rings true. If you have the opportunity to try bars before your buy with the same model bike you have with the same seat that will help a lot. being 6ft. I'd imagine 14's would probably work pretty good. I run 12" Carlini Gangsters on a Slim. I'm 5'7 and wouldn't want any higher. Anything higher that 14's looks kinda weird to me. If I had a DYNA I would be running about 12" T-bars preferably Pro Tapers on about 8 or 10" risers. Then you can always add a Rifle fairing later to break the wind.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:02 PM
rgrmike14
Cruiser

I think a fat bob would look good with a set of Carlini Evil Apes or similar. I think the squared edges on those bars would look really good.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:22 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,679 Likes on 11,278 Posts

You can get pull back risers to move the stock bars back.
Not dissing the ape crowd but how is your shoulder going to feel as you fight the windblast sitting up?

Old 01-23-2016, 09:03 PM
rgrmike14
Cruiser

Originally Posted by upflying
You can get pull back risers to move the stock bars back.
Not dissing the ape crowd but how is your shoulder going to feel as you fight the windblast sitting up?
My Slim was my first Harley and really my first "cruiser" I guess. To me if it doesn't have a batwing or shark nose then a "cruiser" is going to pretty much suck on the highway at speeds of 65/70+. My Slim had tons of wind with the Hollywood bars as well as my apes. I now have a removable Long Ride Shields detachable windshield and I'm still not very happy. Tons of air comes up from around the tank. It's not a big deal if you're cruising around town but it sucks if you're going highway speeds. You do get more of a flying squirrel sensation with the apes but they're more comfortable to me I guess so it's worth it. I'm a young guy and I don't know how these dudes ride across the country with no windshield or some kind of wind deflection. It's just not pleasurable to me.

I could cruise on a sport touring bike or crotch rocket at 110mph all day long and have virtually no wind. Obviously it's due to the design of the bike. I think if you want a traditional cruiser type motorcycle it's just something you have to deal with.

My next bike will either be a street/road glide or a Dyna with a Rifle fairing.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:47 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

For me, about shoulder height is the most comfortable. Sitting height is what matters. I am 5'10" and ran 12" Wild 1 Chubbys on my last bike (sig pic). I am going to 12.5 WO's this weekend on my SG. I made the mistake of only going with 10's and I hate them. I am lucky enough to be able to live close enough to Wild 1 that I can ride up to their factory and put different bars up to my bike. Like others said, see if you can sit on some different bikes with different bars. Good luck...

Old 01-24-2016, 03:22 PM
HDavidA
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have apes on my bikes, being taller it is more comfortable. I like to keep my hands just above the nipples. I went to home depot and bought a length of 1" pac and some 90's. Made some mock up bars out of the pvc to sit and get a feel. Was worth the money. Different heights feel different on different bikes.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:16 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

The HD Dealer I go to has one like I think you're looking to mimic - http://www.rockymountainhd.com/defau...nventory&img=1
For size, i would recommend a broom handle & string - hang the string from the middle, hold the broom handle in front of you till you like the height, then measure the string from the broom handle to the stem....