General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy hauler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:20 PM
kevin_n
Road Captain
Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Toy hauler question

We are looking at getting a toy hauler to pull my ultra and the wife's street glide. We are looking at trailers made by atc or livin lite. Does anyone have experience with either of these brands? We are looking at those cause they are light enough for our 1500 Silverado to pull and big enough to get both bikes in. Getting a bigger truck is not in the budget right now so I am just asking to see if anyone has had these brands and what they pulled them with.

Thanks
Kevin

Old 01-24-2016, 12:04 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

you are going to be very hard pressed to find a toy hauler with a payload of 1900lbs AND be able to SAFELY pull it behind a 1/2 ton truck.

Towing capacity of your truck is probably around 10,500 with a weight distribution hitch. Finding a toy hauler with a payload of ~1900lbs that wont exceed your trucks pulling capacity will be a very tall order.

Another option would be to retrofit an enclosed trailer. My 22 foot dual axle trailer with two 5500lbs axles has me thinking about doing this. It is almost the perfect size. My 2012 GMC Sierra 1500 had no problems pulling it at 10k weight, but it was thirsty at the pump (duh) and a bit slower up the hills (Big DUH), but it got the job done.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:05 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

oh, whatever you do, a HIGH quality brake controller is in order. I like the Prodigy P2 (think they have a P3 now...?) and if your Chevy is a 2007 or newer it is pre-wired for a brake controller.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:22 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I pull a 14 x 7 foot ,dual axle cargo trailer with two bikes or two ATVs and gear .All together has to 4000 plus pounds ,No problem with 1/2 ton toyota tundra small v/8 . I usually pull the mountains of western PA. See what your truck is rated for GVWR and stay with in those limits.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:00 AM
Irie1
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a Forest River Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR. Huge cargo area. Capacity listed at @2500 lbs. (don't forget water, etc). Supposedly will haul two touring bikes but you'd have to be really creative fitting them in. Trailer itself weighs 5100 lbs.

We put two smaller bikes in and pull it with an F150

Old 01-24-2016, 08:20 AM
0488FB
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We also have a Grey Wolf 26RR pulling with a 2007 F150 5.4L. Son races quads in GNCC series and load it pretty full. As Irie1 said, even with large cargo area, would be tight fit for two large bikes. If its possible, ask dealer to hook up trailer and try loading the bikes before actual purchase.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

A F150 pulling any toy hauler with 2000 .lbs of bikes and gear isn't going to work.
Even if you can get the weight numbers to work on paper, those are maximum numbers on flat ground with no head wind.

Sure you can hook up the trailer and get it moving with a F150 but the truck will not last for long.

There's a reason why you generally see at least 3/4 ton diesel vehicles pulling any decent size trailer trailer.

If you're want to pull a toy hauler with two bikes you are going to have to upgrade your truck.

Last edited by Bluraven; 01-24-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:47 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
A F150 pulling any toy hauler with 2000 .lbs of bikes and gear isn't going to work.
Even if you can get the weight numbers to work on paper, those are maximum numbers on flat ground with no head wind.

Sure you can hook up the trailer and get it moving with a F150 but the truck will not last for long.

There's a reason why you generally see at least 3/4 ton vehicles pulling any trailer.

If you're want to pull a toy hauler with two bikes you are going to have to upgrade your truck.
Bullshit! Do you even know what the towing capacity of an F150 is?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:04 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Towing capacity is only one number you have to be concerned with. Believe me when I tell you that you can not go by anything a Trailer Dealer or RV dealer tells you about towing weights.

We towed and lived in a 39' fifth wheel full time for years. I learned a lot about weights.

How about the tongue weight limit (tow behind trailer) or cargo carrying capacity (bed weight for fifth wheel). You also have to consider your tires. You can't have so much weight resting on the rear of your truck and then find out your single rear tires don't support it.

I agree with what has already been said about F150's. I would be shocked if there is any Toy Hauler that holds two large bikes that would be light enough when loaded.

And don't forget about needing side mirrors that extend out to see around a 8' wide trailer plus a brake controller, neither of which most F150 PU's have.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:14 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick58
Bullshit! Do you even know what the towing capacity of an F150 is?
No I don't know what the towing capacity of the F150 is but that's not what my point was.
My point was power.

Have you ever pulled a toy hauler, gear and 2 bikes with any 1/2 truck on a continual basis?
If your answer is yes then share your experience so that the OP knows what to expect.

I've never pulled a toy hauler with two bikes with an F150 but I pulled a travel trailer with 1 bike in the bed with my 5.9L Ram 1500.
We did a round trip from Nebraska to North Carolina and even though we made it there and back without issues, after our return I knew I would not make that trip again without a vehicle with more power.

Sure going across Missouri's flat roads was uneventful, but going through the hills of Kentucky and North Carolina was a chore.
I don't think once we got east of St. Louis I ever made it back to overdrive.

There just wasn't enough to torque.
I cringed ever time I saw a hill coming because I knew that my 5.9L Dodge was going to start screaming rpms.

***IMO*** you need more power than what's available on a F150 if you're going to pull any significant amount of weight.

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK
Towing capacity is only one number you have to be concerned with. Believe me when I tell you that you can not go by anything a Trailer Dealer or RV dealer tells you about towing weights
Thanks, that's the point I was making.

Last edited by Bluraven; 01-24-2016 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Toy hauler question