General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud or quiet pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 11:13 AM
Ammo.308
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud or quiet pipes?

I know this has probably been talked about ad-nauseum, but what do you think?

Don't care for pipes that are so loud I have to close a window, but don't want them quieter than Japan touring bike. I'm somewhere in between.

The following users liked this post:
pikaia (03-14-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Reddog01
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My pipes are loud, due to a Stage 1 upgrade. I like them loud because I want to be sure that cars know I am there.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:54 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,137 Likes on 11,099 Posts
Old 01-25-2016, 11:56 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

When I first heard mine, I knew I'd be getting a ticket every time I saw a cop. But, I've been in big cities and "Mayberry" sized towns and everything in between. I've had cops on all 4 sides of me, from taking off at a stop to going down the highway and SO FAR, I've never been stopped. I think it's because I don't "get on it" to make them really loud. Plus I think most cops know a Harley is going to be somewhat loud anyway.

The following users liked this post:
pikaia (03-14-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 12:00 PM
07DeuceTX
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

As I've gotten older (48), trying to be a respectable citizen and good neighbor, I like them right in the middle. Louder than stock, but not stupidly so. Stage 1 and Rush slip-ons with the 1.75" baffle are the sweet spot for my Deuce. To each their own!

Old 01-25-2016, 12:04 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
When I first heard mine, I knew I'd be getting a ticket every time I saw a cop. But, I've been in big cities and "Mayberry" sized towns and everything in between. I've had cops on all 4 sides of me, from taking off at a stop to going down the highway and SO FAR, I've never been stopped. I think it's because I don't "get on it" to make them really loud. Plus I think most cops know a Harley is going to be somewhat loud anyway.

Everyone's definition of what loud is will be different, I like them loud enough (D&D Fat Cat 2-1) that it gives other around me notice I'm there and I think if you don't blip the throttle when it's not appropriate all should be right in the world...

Old 01-25-2016, 12:13 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,083 Likes on 2,600 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
Everyone's definition of what loud is will be different, I like them loud enough (D&D Fat Cat 2-1) that it gives other around me notice I'm there and I think if you don't blip the throttle when it's not appropriate all should be right in the world...
This is how I like my pipes. Not too loud, but people know I am there.

I have almost 2k miles on the new bike with stock exhaust (V&H is out of stock on one part). I was riding the other day, and a lady merged right into me forcing me into oncoming traffic. Luckily I was able to split between the two cars and avoid being hit. At the next light I got next to her window and asked her WTF she was doing. She stated that she did not know I was there. This is the longest I have ridden on stock exhaust, and I definitely notice a difference with cars not noticing me compared to my other bikes with aftermarket pipes.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:58 PM
BOBLAND
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thought that "loud pipes save lives" is IMO weird. If that was the case all Honda Goldwing riders would be dead. Smart riding saves lives. That being said I like pipes a little louder than stock but not so obnoxious that you draw attention to yourself.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:09 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBLAND
The thought that "loud pipes save lives" is IMO weird. If that was the case all Honda Goldwing riders would be dead. Smart riding saves lives. That being said I like pipes a little louder than stock but not so obnoxious that you draw attention to yourself.
yup, so far, I am still alive. I agree that louder than stock is nice, but too loud is obnoxious, and a potential danger politically.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:10 PM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 526 Likes on 250 Posts

The acid test for me is can I ride behind someone without getting a headache and vice versa

Quick Reply: Loud or quiet pipes?