General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifters – Tappets – what do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:54 AM
scoriden
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Lifters – Tappets – what do you recommend?

I am doing the tensioners on 2000 TC88. Bought this a few years ago as a garage queen with 6000 miles on the clock, coming up on 30 now. Looks and runs like it should for the miles but being used you never really know.

Decided to go in through the top and take a “while in there” approach. She runs fine but is 16 years old. I am doing the 07 plate, new and improved oil pump, with Andrews 21s. Updating the breathers to 20111style, installing a set of Rockouts, B-148s, all gaskets, O-rings and the lifters. No plans to go to a 95, just looking for solid reliability. Because I am not planning to use adjustable push rods, I hope to not have to go back in here for a while.

By the way, the outer tensioner was about half gone and the inner was really toast, almost in metal. I barely touched the outer and it broke off, I think in addition to poor design, these get brittle with age.

Now the lifters. I assume mine are straight 18538-99, they show a little scoring but have been quiet and fine. I have read where they have changed through “A”, “B” and now on “C”. I also read where the “B” seemed to be great and very reliable while “C” seem to be problematic and noisy.

I also read where some are using Melling, Comp Cam, V-Thunder, Clevite, AMS Johnson, S&S. and small block Chevy.

I am not a cheap a$$ but don’t want to spend money where I don’t need to either.

Anyone have experience with any of these, or what do you use?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:56 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,785 Likes on 9,863 Posts

A lot of guys in here are using the Comp Cams 850-1. I went with S&S Standards last time I was there.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:53 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,748 Likes on 6,193 Posts

Jim's makes good ones (big axle hydraulics), the newer bikes seem to like Feuling...It seems the only one that doesn't make good lifters these days is Harley.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Jim's makes good ones (big axle hydraulics), the newer bikes seem to like Feuling...It seems the only one that doesn't make good lifters these days is Harley.
I reeeeaaallly doubt that Harley makes their own lifters. I installed new OEM Harley lifters when I did my build. I assumed they were made by a tier 1 OEM auto supplier but who knows, maybe they're cheapin' out now. I suppose S&S would be my first choice for aftermarket lifters. What part of the newer Harley lifters is going bad?

Old 01-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

since when does a clock show miles? That's as bad as "pulling the trigger"

Old 01-26-2016, 04:11 PM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Fueling Lifters

Originally Posted by RHPAW
My'06 SG ate the inner cam bearings at 31K and trashed everything. My local indy, Wright Bros Customs, built me a 103 - told Dennis Wright to do it like it was his own.
Used HD hydraulic kit and went with Fueling lifters. He's been in business over 30 years and does know a thing or two - fwiw. Also, nice having oil pressure at hot idle now.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,786 Posts

Originally Posted by scoriden

By the way, the outer tensioner was about half gone and the inner was really toast, almost in metal. I barely touched the outer and it broke off, I think in addition to poor design, these get brittle with age.
Back when I worked for a living, we aged harden delrin for mask bearings for sub periscopes. Hot oil depending on time and temperature will make delrin brittle but tougher. I agree. Inspect link chain tensioners at 30K noteing wear and plan from there. Replace no mater what at 10 years or if you have to pay someone to inspect.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:50 PM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

S&S Premium and you'll never have a worry.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:01 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Feuling lifters in my 2000 Fat Boy.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,611 Likes on 6,661 Posts

I got some Johnson Hy-Lifts I'm going to try in the FXRT when I freshen up the top end this spring. Found a set on ebay for $110 shipped. I have S&S lifters in the FXLR & so far, so good.

Quick Reply: Lifters – Tappets – what do you recommend?