General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About To Buy a New Bike: Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:03 AM
jeremy_283
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About To Buy a New Bike: Questions

I am soon to get a 2016 Vivid Black Street Bob w/ Smart Security, pager, and audible alarm. What's a good price?

Is there much wiggle room on new bike Price (should I bounce prices off dealers or pick a favorite and go with with them)?

Winter Roads (salt)... Do I need to wait for a few good rains or will reasonably clean roads with a good wash when I get home be enough? (closest dealer is like 60 miles away)

I want to eventually put some pipes on the bike with a tuner and all the shops really push the screaming eagle tuner. One has even recommended pipes and a tuner before I take delivery on the bike but no dyno tune until at least 1500 miles. I'm going to order all the manuals as I'm mechnically inclined and will do my own service. I wanted to wait a few months on pipes just to ensure any potential warranty claims wouldn't be denied. I know when I do get pipes I'll go with the shortshots but what about the tuner?

Whats the best tuner?

Wait on pipes or get them installed before I ride away?

Old 01-26-2016, 10:15 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Don't know where you live, but pricing flexibility varies greatly from dealer to dealer. Some dealers refuse to even go down to list price (been told the extra cost was because I was "buying the experience"), but some are very happy to deal (a bit), especially if you are in the snow belt. Shop around.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:23 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

When you finally make the purchase,if the roads have salt on them,have the Dealer deliver the bike to you.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:24 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,635 Likes on 4,629 Posts

plus there's a glut of bikes right now, one of the dealers here has 3 million in left over stock, usual amount is 2 million, according to them. if you want to buy you're in the drivers seat. be tough offer low. I walked in and they were ready to drop 3k right off the bat on a ultra.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:45 AM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

You need to take your time. I let different dealers compete against each other. I went through this process about a month ago. Each dealer out did the other. I finally signed on for a Low Rider, but while the deal was getting finalized, I got an offer on a 16 Street Bob that I sometimes regret not pursuing. The out the door was on a Vivid Black with no ABS or security for 13,480. I got my LR for about a grand more.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:08 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I wouldn't ride a brand new bike on any road that might have salt on it.
I wouldn't even ride on wet roads at this time of year.
Salt residue will get in every crevice and give your brand new bike a heads start on future rust and corrosion.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:21 AM
jeremy_283
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Roadflyer
I wouldn't ride a brand new bike on any road that might have salt on it.
I wouldn't even ride on wet roads at this time of year.
Salt residue will get in every crevice and give your brand new bike a heads start on future rust and corrosion.
I guess it's good I have a Kawasaki KLR650 to ride for now then. I'll probably wait to ensure we get a good rain before riding on the road.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:23 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Your "favorite dealer" is the one that gives you the best deal. The time to be best buddies comes after the sale, not before. And if there's a dealer with a better service rep or one that's closer to you, there should be no problem getting it serviced and warranty coverage there.
Most dealers will push the SE tuners. They may or may not be any good at the actual tuning process, so be aware of that. Some will sell aftermarket ones. Take your time and research the different tuners on this forum. You'll figure out what suits you the best.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:30 AM
jeremy_283
6th Gear

Originally Posted by nevil
Your "favorite dealer" is the one that gives you the best deal. The time to be best buddies comes after the sale, not before. And if there's a dealer with a better service rep or one that's closer to you, there should be no problem getting it serviced and warranty coverage there.
Most dealers will push the SE tuners. They may or may not be any good at the actual tuning process, so be aware of that. Some will sell aftermarket ones. Take your time and research the different tuners on this forum. You'll figure out what suits you the best.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.
I've analyzed all dealers statewide and of the 3 closest to me 2 of them appear to be some of the best in the state according to Facebook reviews and other reviews online. Additionally, I've been in all 3 and those 2 were the only with salesmen that were good to work with. I haven't talked prices much at all yet but I guess when I need to I will include most of the dealerships statewide... according to what I'm seeing here. I also figure buying a bike closeby will make any assistance that may be required later easier to obtain.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

IMHO...don't let whether or not you got the absolute lowest best price drive you nuts, or ruin the experience. In the long run a few $100 or even $1,000 doesn't make that much difference.

But, I wouldn't go near salty roads until they have bad a couple of good rains wash them down. That crap will get in everything. Just going through a spot that had ocean spray during a trip ruined my uncoated wheels, and various nuts and bolts.

Quick Reply: About To Buy a New Bike: Questions