General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy from a Dealer or an Individual

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:08 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts
Default Buy from a Dealer or an Individual

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a new bike. Everything is a go.

Bought my last three bikes from individuals and all have worked out really well, I have no complaints.

I have yet to purchase a new bike from a dealer.

I really like the dealership and it isn't my local dealer. I think they have a good reputation.

I know there are horror stories about some dealerships.

Give me your .02

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:37 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Dealers are like anything else...some good, some bad. I've had pretty good luck with my local dealers. Been in a few dealers where I wouldn't even buy a Coke. Dealers get good or bad reputations for a reason. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from my local shop if I got the right deal.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:41 PM
KyBourbon
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Bought 1 from a dealer and another from CL. Bought my 1st at the dealer, for me the only advantage was financing really. At the time I enjoyed the "experience". I was young and it was exciting. Now I'm older and found a much better deal from an individual. I paid more than I should have after extended warranty that of course I never used.

When I bought my 2010 RK last year I never even considered a dealer. I had multiple choices locally and cash in hand. A brand new bike isn't in my budget, so that makes dealers out for me.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:08 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

If you are buying new what other options are there but a dealer? If you know what you want and the dealer has what you want and you and the dealer come to an agreement on price then what's the problem? If you are not planning on paying cash a dealer can give you a better credit deal probably - if you your credit is good.

You will have a warranty and a brand new bike that you wanted. OTOH if you don't click with anyone at the dealer or have bad feelings about them go elsewhere.

Last edited by kontiki; 01-26-2016 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:24 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Obviously if new it'll be from a dealer. My experience is I generally get better prices dealing directly with the individual/owner them self, plus you can usually get an accurate history especially if it's the original owner. The exception is you can often get a great price (this time of the year particularly) buying an HD from a non HD dealer, especially a car dealership.
This example is reversed but the same applies. I happened upon a one year old BMW GSA with 115 miles here at Triple S HD. They didn't want the bike and were going to wholesale it to the BMW dealer in Pittsburgh and offered me that price if I wanted it which was an unbelievable deal.
Morgantown Power Sports usually has used Harleys and while they may be asking close to retail they'll generally sell them for a lot less if you have cash in hand.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:37 PM
iRider
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridewva
Obviously if new it'll be from a dealer. My experience is I generally get better prices dealing directly with the individual/owner them self, plus you can usually get an accurate history especially if it's the original owner. The exception is you can often get a great price (this time of the year particularly) buying an HD from a non HD dealer, especially a car dealership.
This example is reversed but the same applies. I happened upon a one year old BMW GSA with 115 miles here at Triple S HD. They didn't want the bike and were going to wholesale it to the BMW dealer in Pittsburgh and offered me that price if I wanted it which was an unbelievable deal.
Morgantown Power Sports usually has used Harleys and while they may be asking close to retail they'll generally sell them for a lot less if you have cash in hand.
The dealer is Triple S.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by iRider
The dealer is Triple S.
I happen to like their sales department because in addition to the BMW mentioned I purchased new three other bikes including my current RK from them. Browsing the showroom they tend to over price a bit both new and used from my perspective (like most dealerships do) but have been willing to come down enough to get my business.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:06 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

If you are or know a good mechanic - then buy from an individual
There are a lot of dealers that will pay below trade value on a trade-in and then want to sell it for more than suggested retail value.....know your prices before you go either route...

Old 01-26-2016, 08:10 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,526 Likes on 6,641 Posts

I've had good luck buying & selling vehicles on craigslist. It's all about patience & timing. The deals are there....

Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

First, leave the gun at home.
Second, will an individual give you a warranty?
Third, that's all.

Quick Reply: Buy from a Dealer or an Individual