General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the parts made of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:15 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts
Default What are the parts made of?

Not a vendor by any means and I'm not putting anything out for sale. Former HD rider who likes to weld as a hobby and am putting together bike related gifts for friends and I have a question about some of the HD parts, mainly the engine parts.

Are most of the components made of steel, as opposed to aluminum? Cams for instance…I purchased a set off ebay from a Shovelhead which a magnet hits on easily, plus the weight, so I figure they are steel so I should be able to weld on them ok.

When visiting a salvage yard digging through their bins what should I avoid. I'm not at a point where I'm welding aluminum yet or know if I'll ever be. Just a basic welding student. And old one, but still a student. Here's a sample/prototype of one the things I'm working on. Again this isn't any offer of sale. Feel free to steal the idea if you want. I think I did already. LOL

All input is welcomed and appreciated, and try not to laugh too much at the welding.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Philphine
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

can't answer your question (beyond taking a magnet with you), but i encourage your attempt. i fall into the "know just enough to be dangerous" welder category (especially when i break out the $89 flux welder at home). i keep my limits in mind (like i've built lots of bicycles, but not sure i want to do anything structure wise with a motorcycle), but i love being able to stick stuff together.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:21 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,759 Likes on 6,200 Posts

Stick to the older stuff. All the newer parts are made in China now, out of recycled toothpaste, dog food, and baby formula.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:29 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Philphine
can't answer your question (beyond taking a magnet with you), but i encourage your attempt. i fall into the "know just enough to be dangerous" welder category (especially when i break out the $89 flux welder at home). i keep my limits in mind (like i've built lots of bicycles, but not sure i want to do anything structure wise with a motorcycle), but i love being able to stick stuff together.

Nothing structural for me either although I crafted up some shelving for my storage shed. 6' span held my intrusive behind up in the air so it should hold up some oil cans. LOL

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Stick to the older stuff. All the newer parts are made in China now, out of recycled toothpaste, dog food, and baby formula.
That's mostly what I'm looking at on ebay and craigslist. I search here as well. Maybe I'll start looking for an old motor too.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else should feel free to comment as well. Thanks again and ride safe.