General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If a woman ever wanted to ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:49 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If a woman ever wanted to ...

ride a Harleyseminar was held at the Mike Bruno's Houma dealership last night.It was advertised for "any woman who ever even thought about riding a Harley".I took my wife because she has been turning this thought over in her head since I bought my second Harley. I had to find something to do for the two hours that it lasted but I thought it would be worth it even if it cleared up only one question that she had. We rode about 1 hr 40 min. to get there and it lasted from 7:00 to 9:00 PM. The ride back at night through the swamps of Louisiana was uneventful and we averaged about 600 bph (bugs per hour).

We both have been around the block and realize that the benefit to the dealership was mainly a novel marketing idea and approached the seminar with that in mind. I expected her to benefit from talking to the female employees at the dealership who ride and gaining an insight to the approach they took to riding a Harley.

She had been looking at a Sportster Low even though I politely told her that I thought a softtail would be easier to handle due to lower center of gravity and all. The women at the class (riders of an Ultra Classic Electraglide and a Softtail Deluxe) told her that they thought that the softtail was a better bike for women than the sportster. She told me this after the event like I had never told her this (who'd a thunk it). So I guess this makes the softtail the real chick bike? Just kidding.

I am letting her feel out her leanings towards whether or not she wants to ride and what she wants to ride without any prodding in either direction. I am involved only to discuss the ideas she chooses to share. (I wish she would buy a nightster so I could ride it to work when she has to drive the truck but, I am keeping that to myself.)

My wifeis 5'7" so seat height is not too much of a problem. One of the female employees at the dealership is 5'2" and rides the Ultra Classic. (WOW) One common comment by my wife is the width of the Dyna's and Softtails compared to theSportster. She likes the narrower width of the Sportster and keeps going back to the 1200L Sportster Low as a favorite. She was concerned with the weight of all the bikes and keeps saying that she doesn't think she is strong enough to keep them upright if they get into too far of a lean. I told her that if my Low Rider leans too far I can't keep it upright. They taught her at the class that it's "balance" not "weight". I had told her that already but, well, you know, she heard it at the seminar and now believes it.

We'll see what happens now. She just e-mailed me to print out the riders endorsement manual for the state exam. I would like her to take a beginners course even though she has ridden in the past albeitthat was a long time ago.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:16 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: If a woman ever wanted to ...

You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Let her make her decision, but I might encourage her to talk to the gal at the HD shot that has a larger bike and is smaller than she is. Why did she wind up with a larger bike. I think your wife would benefit from having that perspective.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:39 PM
cajunman831
Tourer

hello t-bone i,m from there.i bought two bikes from bruno.i get all my service done in b.r.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so does she always blow off your advice to remind you of her new found knowledge later?

Old 05-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member

Good for the resume, "experienced in self survival while usingkid gloves to handle the most difficult scenarios" I think I have a pair of those gloves as well. The best part is she wants to ride her own again, that will be lots of fun for both of you……as long as you can agree of theroute, speed, type of roads, weather, time of day, restaurant and so on.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Jovimon
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cajunman831

hello t-bone i,m from there.i bought two bikes from bruno.i get all my service done in b.r.
Just curious cajunman, why didn't you buy in B.R.? since they do your service?

Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 PM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Rebel Ryder

so does she always blow off your advice to remind you of her new found knowledge later?
My girlfriend sure as hell does!! ... DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
tbone52
Road Warrior

It's a wife thing. She always eventually admits that she should have listened to me but, usually, it is too late. I won't go into details. But basically it was about everything because, as you may or may not know, I always know everything.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You know, I think it really varies on the type of bike. I bought my dad a 883, and he had not ridden in over 40 years. He did say it is a little top heavy, but he really feels comfortable on it now, and he prefers a lighter bike with the tight rake, as it's easier to throw around, and control. It seems if you like a low center of gravity, a softtail would probably be the best, or a DYNA with some 11" shocks in the rear.....alot of girls seem to like the Deluxe, as the stock seat looks sweet, and sits the rider closer to the bars and pegs, and has a low center of gravity.

Let her choose on all of it! Then she will be happy!

Joe

Old 05-10-2007, 11:18 PM
CyclChyk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow - Sounds like me. First and formost I say hook her up with an MSF class - VERY beneficial in the basics of bike handling and GREAT for instilling some confidence in one who has no knowledge whatsoever of bike handling.

I had never ridden a motorcylce before Feburary of this year. Thats when I took the MSF class. I got comfy on the bike I learned on, a Suzi 250; convinced myself the weight of anything heavier would be too much for me. (I'm a bit of a sissy).

I always loved the sportys. Everyone said bad idea; tried to talk me out of it. (BTW - I'm 5'7 as well). The bike weight was a factor to me in addition to the center of gravity weight. The Suzi was a mere 300lbs. The 883 was pushing 600lbs. [sm=yikesomg.gif]Plus, the Suzi's weight felt low; when I sat on a Sportster it felt like it was all in the tank area. [sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=yikesomg.gif]How in the heck was I going to handle that?? I can't even keep my bicyclevertical. (Got plenty of scars to prove it). BUT I knew I wanted the Sporty. So I got the 883 (really liked the 1200 but I feltit was more bike than I needed to start out with).

I admit I was intimidated the first few times around my subdivision. Couldn't make the cul-d-sacs turns without putting a foot down or stopping altogether. But I quickly got used to the weight, both actual and COGW, and don't even notice it now.

I'm still in the early stages. I was unable to ride right after my MSF coursedue to life getting in the way. Only really started maybe a month or so ago. But its awesome!! And I LOVE my Sportster. Have made minor adjustments and I could not be happier.

Of course, I still think my hubbywill be much happier once I graduate beyond back/side roads. But that time will come soon enough. Its very addictive.

OHHH - and as for me, I like the skinny tank the Sportys offer. And I like their lines. I can honestly say this is one girl who does NOT want a deluxe or electraglide.......Now the Nightster? Thats a whole different ball game

Quick Reply: If a woman ever wanted to ...