General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake lights, etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 06:07 PM
JohnGaltATL
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights, etc

2015 Dyna Low Rider:

The 3157 tail/brake light bulbs are not lasting long (changed 2 this weekend), the bulb comes free of the bulb base.

I want to convert it to an LED system, however, I also need to move the turn signals to accommodate saddle bag installation.

I can use the HD turn signal relocation kit, but I am wondering if there is just one big conversion kit, to convert the tail light to an LED and to move the turn signals down to that area (the license plate area), and make those LED. Kuryiakan seems to have some that might do it, but not sure if these are what i am looking for. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-31-2016, 07:25 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Stop buying the cheapest bulbs you can find.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 PM
JohnGaltATL
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Stop buying the cheapest bulbs you can find.
They are GE bulbs. Any suggestions other than a useless answer? They are all made in china.

Thanks for offering no help, but posting just so you can.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:31 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

LEDs translates into Custom Dynamics, to me anyway.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:33 PM
JohnGaltATL
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
LEDs translates into Custom Dynamics, to me anyway.

Thank you

Old 02-01-2016, 06:57 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JohnGaltATL
They are GE bulbs. Any suggestions other than a useless answer? They are all made in china.

Thanks for offering no help, but posting just so you can.
Okay, how's this. You evidently have some other sort of a problem. I haven't had to change out a 3157 bulb in more than 6 years with over 40,000 miles on the bikes. You should have someone check out the wiring on your bike for a short in case your unable to do it yourself. I'd stay away from anything that Kuryakin peddles myself but that's just me. There, I posted again, just because I can.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:12 AM
JohnGaltATL
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Okay, how's this. You evidently have some other sort of a problem. I haven't had to change out a 3157 bulb in more than 6 years with over 40,000 miles on the bikes. You should have someone check out the wiring on your bike for a short in case your unable to do it yourself. I'd stay away from anything that Kuryakin peddles myself but that's just me. There, I posted again, just because I can.
Thank you, that was very helpful.

I should add some history;
Bike purchased Feb. 2015.
September, I get the check engine light, code is a BCM code, no brake light. I check the activating switch in the brake lever, and it seems ok, so I take it into HD, who then tells me it is a bad BCM, has to be replaced, on backorder from HD, I wait for almost a month.
Get bike back, and it works fine. For less than a week! Bulb is out and rattling about inside of the cover lens. Change bulb, good for another week. Repeat. In this time, after changing the bulb, I check the rear brakes, and find they are not turning on the brake light. I then check to see if that actuator is working, only to find that the dealership never reconnected the wires to it! Awesome work HD!

And, on top of that, this weekend I lock my helmet to my handle bars, and turns out I do not have the key to the helmet lock on me, which sounds like I am an idiot, but the key is on my security FOB key chain...and you need that to start the bike. Turns out the security module is not working either. And the FOBs are not needed, which is fine with me, I hate security modules and car alarms. I would rather they not fix that, but do not want any problems down the road. That, and if the security module had been working, it would have been impossible for me to end up in the situation I did.

(I would not have gotten it, but it was factory pre-installed, and the dealer would not take it off and reduce the price)

Also, wouldn't a short blow a fuse? It would trip a breaker in a house...

Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

I'd use the warranty and take it back to "a" Dealer and have them go over the bike again because shorts can be a real pain to track down unless you're really proficient with an electrical schematic and a tester. I'm not worth a damn when it comes to doing that so that's why I suggest "a" Dealer.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:01 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

With a bulb rattling around inside the t/l housing,I'd be thinking about a vibration problem on the rear fender-like maybe a few loose or missing fender bolts.Or maybe the light-to-fender attachment.

Old 02-01-2016, 02:35 PM
dporto
4th Gear

3157 bulbs run hot and can melt the socket enough that they will not stay in place. The most likely problem with you security system is the dealer installed the wrong BCM as there is one with security and one without. If you want to convert to LEDS call custom dynamics and they can set you up.

Quick Reply: Brake lights, etc