General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Time and Oil/Water

Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 PM
KenRice
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride Time and Oil/Water

I live just one mile from work so my "commutes" are very short. I am in management so I normally get to work at 6:00am and leave sometime around 8:00pm. I don't really have much time for long rides and am afraid of moisture building up in my oil. I have family obligations on the weekends so I can get in a 2 hour ride once a month at the most. Am I damaging my engine by riding it to work? Should I only ride it when I am able to take a long ride? Thank you in advance.

Ken Rice

Old 02-01-2016, 10:09 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,784 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Take the long way to work- 15-20 minutes.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts

14 hour days? You better be making heavy bucks, is all I can say.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Like said above. Take the long way to work once in awhile. Use synthetic oil. As hard as it might be.... take her out for a nice long ride once in a while to burn off the condensation. And keep up on your recommended oil changes.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:19 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Short answer, yes. Long answer, condensation is a byproduct of combustion. Unless the bike is moving at a glacial pace, the engine doesn't have time to warm up enough to burn off the condensation. Additionally, the oil doesn't have much time to circulate. Most of the wear in an engine comes from initial start-up, while the oil pressurizes and circulates. Since most of your engine's runtime is shortly after start-up, it will wear faster (mileage-wise) than other engines.

As has been suggested, take the long way to work. Alternatively, let the bike idle for several minutes before you ride in. I used to have a commute that was even shorter, though I would go for an hour ride on my lunch break.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:42 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Not responsive to your question, but if you're only a mile from work, why not walk? (Maybe no sidewalks, dangerous traffic . . .) It would probably help burn off some of the stress of 14 hour days.

Easier on the bike, too.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:45 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by cookiemech
Not responsive to your question, but if you're only a mile from work, why not walk? (Maybe no sidewalks, dangerous traffic . . .) It would probably help burn off some of the stress of 14 hour days.

Easier on the bike, too.
^^^Agree^^^

This was my 1st thought...for your health and the health of your bike's motor, just hoof it. Those short rides aren't doing your m/c any good...sorry.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

You have the bike, ride it. Guys telling you how much your hurting your motor usually have 10 year old bikes with no mileage on them. Whats the point? Or think they have to rebuild them every 5k miles. My favorite is guys that have cams, or big bore work done and never ride the bike. Why have a bike and not ride it? Especially where you live.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

^^^Nice stereotype there, bud^^^

Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Think so? There's a post on the site now from a guy with a '05 with work done to it that he's still paying for with 19,000 miles on it. He wan'ts to trade it for a newer bike with better options. Why? He hasn't used the ones he as now. Go on Ebay and look at all the bikes for sale with little to NO use on them. Making a monthly payments and paying insurance for something that sits unused in your garage is stupid. And to not use a bike because your afraid of putting too many miles on it is also stupid. Paying $25,000 plus for a bike , then putting thousands more into motor work that you never use to it's full potential , because you think it will hurt it's value, is stupid. Spending $30 k on a bike that's barely worth $22k is .,,,,,,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ride Time and Oil/Water