General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Local Indy Really Goofed........

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:44 AM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Default My Local Indy Really Goofed........

I had a new set of tires installed by my local indy at the end of December. Yesterday, I noticed that the right side of my rear tire was rubbing something that had caused a 1/4" black mark on the outer edge of the outer whitewall. I jacked the bike up and could feel and hear the tire rubbing, so, I made a tool to check the alignment of the rear wheel and found it was off by 1/4" ! How in the hell could they get it that jacked up? When I started looking closer, it was obvious that the belt adjusters and axle slots were way off. Ive got everything in alignment now and the belt adjusted properly and , the rubbing is gone. Just pisses me off that I paid $100.00 for someone else to do this as part of the tire installation. I dont think I will trust anyone again to work on my bike. Seems like there is always something wrong afterwards. OK...I feel better..

Old 02-02-2016, 04:14 PM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I try and do as much of the work on my bike as I can as I enjoy it. Glad you got it sorted out and it didn't ruin the tire.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:20 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,760 Likes on 6,200 Posts

I had one put a front tire on backwards. More accurately, he put a back tire on the front, the rotation arrow on the sidewall was pointing the wrong way.
I had taken the wheels off the bike, and noticed it when I was putting them back on...whole extra trip back and forth. He made it right.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:05 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

When I was young I had to work on my own vehicles because I couldn't afford to pay to have it done.

Now I have the money but still have to do my own work because nobody will do it right.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:09 PM
WB
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Local dealer put a rear tire on the front rim on mine.. I went to pick up right before closing. I caught it before I left the dealer. They delivered to my driveway at 9:00 pm.

Last edited by WB; 02-02-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:23 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Its a shame what this country has evolved in to. Nobody takes pride in their work anymore. I think I am part of the last generation of those that do . Im lucky there was no damage but, it could have been catastrophic especially considering that my wife and I took a 300 mile trip on it Sunday.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 89FLHTC
I had a new set of tires installed by my local indy at the end of December. Yesterday, I noticed that the right side of my rear tire was rubbing something that had caused a 1/4" black mark on the outer edge of the outer whitewall. I jacked the bike up and could feel and hear the tire rubbing, so, I made a tool to check the alignment of the rear wheel and found it was off by 1/4" ! How in the hell could they get it that jacked up? When I started looking closer, it was obvious that the belt adjusters and axle slots were way off. Ive got everything in alignment now and the belt adjusted properly and , the rubbing is gone. Just pisses me off that I paid $100.00 for someone else to do this as part of the tire installation. I dont think I will trust anyone again to work on my bike. Seems like there is always something wrong afterwards. OK...I feel better..
I take my wheels off and take them to an indy.
$30 to change the tire off the bike works for me.

Hell the dealer didn't even know how to set end play.
I had them check it and they said it was at 8 thousandths.
Pay no mind to the fact that 8 thou is out of spec!!!!

Old 02-02-2016, 09:37 PM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

I had an indy change my back tire a couple days before heading on a trip, got to looking at things before I took off and noticed I could easily move my belt about 2 inches. I bought a jack so I can take it off myself.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,726 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
When I was young I had to work on my own vehicles because I couldn't afford to pay to have it done.

Now I have the money but still have to do my own work because nobody will do it right.
Me to. I spent a big chunk of my life turning wrenches for a living on everything from cars to bikes to jet engines and steam turbines and I thought it would be nice to pay somebody else to bust their knuckles for a change.

But, my local dealer screwed up the first job I had them do. They admitted they screwed up, apologized, and made it right. I took the bike back for something else, and they screwed that up too, the first time. That was their last chance.

I've had to make or buy a few special tools, but there's not much I'd hesitate to do on my bike now.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

I would be learning how to do it myself if I were you. Or at least be looking for a new indy. Is the tire damaged? I hope he made it right by you.

Quick Reply: My Local Indy Really Goofed........