General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I had that OH CRAP! moment

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:50 PM
fish-r-ride
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default I had that OH CRAP! moment

I was riding to work yesterday morning( 3:30 ) and all of a sudden to my left there was a deer. Where she came from I don't know. I never saw her on the side of the road. I knew I was going to hit her so I just turn straight into her. I figured that was my best chance. I thought if I hit her trying to run away from her at an angle I was going down. I hit the front of her. Never slowed down at 60mph. I knocked her around, lights went out, my leg was hurting like a SOB, but I was still up. After a few seconds and gaining my thoughts I hit the dimmer switch and low beam came on. I kept on going to work, I teach a trade at a prison, because I was afraid that if I stop I couldn't hold it up with my leg. Only thing hurt on the bike was the front and rear fenders dented and scratched, rear blinker missing, and the front shift lever is bent. I'll let the dealer find anything else. My insurance is due this month so we will see how good they are. Someone was surely watching out for me. As for my leg, no broke bones or blood clots just a really bad bruise.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:31 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Holy **** !! That will get your attention !!!

Originally Posted by fish-r-ride
I was riding to work yesterday morning( 3:30 ) and all of a sudden to my left there was a deer. Where she came from I don't know. I never saw her on the side of the road. I knew I was going to hit her so I just turn straight into her. I figured that was my best chance. I thought if I hit her trying to run away from her at an angle I was going down. I hit the front of her. Never slowed down at 60mph. I knocked her around, lights went out, my leg was hurting like a SOB, but I was still up. After a few seconds and gaining my thoughts I hit the dimmer switch and low beam came on. I kept on going to work, I teach a trade at a prison, because I was afraid that if I stop I couldn't hold it up with my leg. Only thing hurt on the bike was the front and rear fenders dented and scratched, rear blinker missing, and the front shift lever is bent. I'll let the dealer find anything else. My insurance is due this month so we will see how good they are. Someone was surely watching out for me. As for my leg, no broke bones or blood clots just a really bad bruise.
Glad to hear you're ok !!!....have heard and know of a few that where not so fortunate...in the same situation !!! God bless you !!!

Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Sounds like a damned close shave, right there.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:48 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You did the right thing! Most wrecks are caused by swerving to miss a deer. The deer (and hogs) around here scare me more than the idiots driving and texting! Glad you made out OK!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Jumper1
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Deer VS Bike is never good. Glad your ok. Surprised you had a headlight to see by afterward.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:31 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I am very glad your are alright with the exception of a bruised leg. Your bike will get repaired.

I share your pucker moment. Last April I was riding to work at 5:30 am. It's hard to believe it was almost a year ago. I'm doing 65 mph and a deer runs towards me perpendicular to my line of travel. The speed limit was actually 75 mph. Never saw it until it was too late and I was actively scanning for them since I live in a rural area of central Texas. The deer's head hit my right passing lamp and it's leg hit my engine guard and highway peg. It's body swung around me and took out a strap on my right saddlebag. I was in the middle of nowhere and 20 miles from home.

I never went down either. Just a big jolt. Because I keep my heel on the footboard and ball of my foot on the highway peg I broke 2 bones in my foot. I, too, continued to work (another 60 miles). The only damage to the bike was the passing lamp and bracket, engine guard and saddlebag strap. No paint or mechanical damage. Interestingly, the LED lamp in the passing lamp remained on (HD brand for inquiring minds).

My foot had a bit of a throb, to say the least, when I got to work. Taking my boot off wasn't all that pleasant. My colleagues started pulling out trauma drills and screws asking me if I was ready. I told them it was a mere flesh wound. Healed up just fine. Good as new for a not-so-youngster.

For your leg; Apply ice exclusively to the bruise for 3 days then begin applying heat. Also, apply a compressive Ace wrap to the area as long as it isn't too painful. If it is a good size bruise it may take a 2-3 weeks to resolve.

Good thing I had a change of shorts when I got to work! Best wishes to you.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:56 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Close call for sure. But deer is/are why I hate night riding in the country. I know...they come out at all hours but at least during the day I can see them better and hopefully sooner.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,656 Likes on 3,223 Posts

Friggin' ditch rats!

OP, glad you and your bike made out OK considering what could have happened....better than my truck made out after I hit a deer on the highway about ten days ago:

Old 02-02-2016, 10:20 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

outside Susanville CA. about 7am, I almost missed it, knocked the **** out of it though. Glad you guys that hit em on your bikes are here to talk about it.

Attached Thumbnails I had that OH CRAP! moment-20150426_082328.jpg  

Last edited by sixguns; 02-02-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:23 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Lucky! Time to buy a Powerball ticket!

Quick Reply: I had that OH CRAP! moment