General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS are we getting stupier?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 08:58 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,186 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
Your disagreement does not change physics.

Braking technique is primarily about not locking up one or both wheels, and no level of skill is going to match an ABS for that.
i'm not sure what you're getting at. until you've made a braking error, your abs doesn't kick in so the physics are equal between the two. once you've made your error, then the abs will kick in and do what it does. however, up until that point, you as the rider should not brake any differently whether your bike is abs or not.....

Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i'm not sure what you're getting at. until you've made a braking error, your abs doesn't kick in so the physics are equal between the two. once you've made your error, then the abs will kick in and do what it does. however, up until that point, you as the rider should not brake any differently whether your bike is abs or not.....
Tell me about "braking error" when you're riding in fast traffic on a rain-slicked highway and a slower vehicle cuts in front of you or pulls out in front of you, and you need to stop or slow down NOW. The worst error you can make there is not having ABS.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:40 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
Just like how this next generation of kids will have a new car with traction control, automatic blind spot warnings, auto braking....etc.

They will rely on all these "conveniences" and it will hinder them in the long run.
For fun I like to walk through parking lots and put black tape over backup cameras.

The following users liked this post:
V8R (06-16-2021)
Old 02-06-2016, 12:37 AM
13dino
Grand HDF Member

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Motorcycle snow brakes work better.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:43 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Losing skill sets: My wife's best friend is coming to visit and when she discovered that I'd bought an old Porsche she immediately asked me if she could take it out for a spin when she gets here. I don't believe that they've had a manual transmission car at their house any time in the past 30 years. (so it ain't gonna' happen.)

Old 02-06-2016, 12:19 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Tell me about "braking error" when you're riding in fast traffic on a rain-slicked highway and a slower vehicle cuts in front of you or pulls out in front of you, and you need to stop or slow down NOW. The worst error you can make there is not having ABS.
I don't know why y'all think I am anti-abs. i'm all for it. I have it, I traded in my wife's bike so that she would have it.

all I have been saying is that until you make a braking error (which doesn't matter if the road is dry or rain slicked, if you lock up your rear wheel, you made an error) the abs is going to be transparent to you.

The following users liked this post:
V8R (06-16-2021)
Old 02-06-2016, 12:41 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,903 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Squidbilly*
A Shovelhead with nanner calipers is natural antilock,
Ain't that the truth, was time the nanners were a big upgrade

Bottom line is this " Skills , learn them first " then play with the gadgets.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:12 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

[
Bottom line is this " Skills , learn them first " then play with the gadgets.[QUOTE=TwiZted Biker;14814313]

I wonder though if 'they'll' still teach them? Shame you can't turn off an ABS system like you can traction control or cornering stabilizer and learn how the vehicle reacts when the gadgets fail.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stiggy

I wonder though if 'they'll' still teach them? Shame you can't turn off an ABS system like you can traction control or cornering stabilizer and learn how the vehicle reacts when the gadgets fail.
sure you can, there is a fuse in the fuse panel for the abs. just pull it.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by popawcritter
Shouldn't you end your sentence with a period before you start schooling others?

BTW, I don't care about anyone's grammar or sentence structure. Just find humor in the spelling police crew.
Oh jeesh! Here is some extras in case I forget again............................................. ..

Quick Reply: ABS are we getting stupier?