General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why buy a Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 03:00 PM
Deadstroke
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why buy a Harley

So I always been a honda guy, My Custom VTX1300 was fast, 9ft long and reliable.

When I first got into bikes I wanted a Harley but I was not riding a sporty so I started with the Honda instead. The Honda was bigger for my long legs and riding it was awesome. Then the more custom I went the less options I had and every rally had 500 booths of harley crap and 2 of other makes.

Still not convinced and wanted nothing to do with it. So I made due with what I had. I paid 4k for my vtx1300 (compared to 15k my buddy spent) and really needed nothing.

Then I got to the point of I had to get a Harley, not by choice because I was going to buy a Victory, Actually was ready to put down the payment and was told had to get a Harley.. If you dont know the reason look at my avatar ..

Ok fine so I bought a roadking, Not bad but alot slower. Very comfortable and smooth riding. Not as bad as I thought. Still less leg room, so I did the bars, seat, intake, and exhaust. Now we are talking a little more get up and go, more room thinking not so bad.

Ill admit it was nice to go to a Rally and have my pick of places to shop. Used parts were cheap and talking to the old motor heads and hearing storys made ya feel like you were a part of a legacy. Yep ill admit it I was hooked.

Then it was all about Custom building again for me and the choices were crazy.

Lets face it, Harley has the best story and there is enough out there where anyone can get one if you look hard enough and plenty of used parts if budgets are low.

Ill never waste my money on a CVO and ill always upgrade the motor and other things when I get one but when I am asked why I ask them why not?

Anyway Just was thinking about it so I figured I would post it. Not for any real reason just board waiting on the wife to go to the Vtwin Convention in ohio lol..

Old 02-05-2016, 03:31 PM
fsae0607
Road Master
Received 258 Likes on 143 Posts

I'll throw my two cents in.

I've always liked Harleys since I was little. Loved the looks and sound. My dad bought his Heritage about twenty years ago and I thought it was a sweet bike. He always told me how fun riding is.

So, last year I saved and bought my Wide Glide. I don't know why I waited so long, but I wouldn't want anything else. I've ridden some of my buddies' crotch rockets, but it never did anything for me. My Harley just fits me.

I know it's cliché as hell, but how's the saying go? "If you have to ask..."

Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 PM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Seriously? Well, I'll bite.
Liked the look and sound of Harleys since the 60s. When I started riding, speed and handling were more my forte, so a Harley just didn't fit in. Now, I'm old and slowing down. Nice to take it easy once in a while. Bought a Harley.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:43 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

I needed some to work on in the winter and my Yamaha was never broke. So why not. However, now that I am old and retired, I head South for the winter. So the Harley never gets worked on and seems to run better even tho I keep putting off thing I need to work on. Not sure where all these people come up with problems with tensioners and compensators and ect....this and that. It's noise..not a problem.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:01 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,742 Likes on 3,509 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I Not sure where all these people come up with problems with tensioners and compensators and ect....this and that. It's noise..not a problem.
Exactly....turn the key and ride!

Old 02-05-2016, 04:15 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

You ask "Why buy a Harley?" Well my answer is, because the Harley Davidson motorcycles are the best!

Old 02-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,670 Likes on 6,681 Posts

I have 2 FXR's & an Ironhead Sportster. I like the fact that these are relatively simple machines I can fix myself. I'm not tied to a dealership for repairs. I can't see riding anything else as they make me smile everytime I go for a ride.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

I had a VTX1300 and it was a good bike. I really enjoyed the community as well. The VTX Cafe folks got together a couple times a year at somebody's house and did a tech session to fix common problems. I attended one in Paw Paw, MI to adjust my valves (others at that session replaced those **&^^IY steering head bearings that caused the death wobble (yea, Honda has it's problems too).

What I couldn't get past on the VTX was the fact that EVERYTHING on that bike that was shiny and didn't get hot was plastic and screamed wannabe. I'm riding a Dyna now that's a lot like the VTX. I still chat occasionally in the Cafe but I'm glad I jumped.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:40 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

Personally I grew up in the land of ugly Japanese bikes (70s-80s) and very few people rode Harleys (the only American made motorcycle).

So...

Why not?

They looked and sounded cool, they were made to be ridden and when you rode one you knew you were on a machine.

Old 02-05-2016, 04:42 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Harleys are a motorcycle you can change to your liking by just opening up the Parts and Accessories book.Other bike manufacturers are trying to catch up with certain models,but they are way behind.

Quick Reply: Why buy a Harley