General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes a motorcycle a symbol of freedom?

Old 02-09-2016, 07:04 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
United States Senator Dave Durenberger said it this way,

“Bikers are the last hope of America to remain a Free Country. You are the only ones who care enough about your individual liberty to stand up and fight for it. I’m here to tell you tonight that you better get off your *** and you better start fighting, because you are losing it every day.”

Well, I'm damned impressed that a biker brother from Texas would be quoting a Minnesota senator.

Our famous, or should I say, "infamous," former Gov. Jesse Ventura also stood up for biker's rights in Minnesota. The first bill he signed in office was to guarantee our right to not be banned by public establishments just because we arrived on a motorycle.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:01 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

If you want a good visual depicting freedom on a motorcycle, pull up next to a car driven by a guy, his wife in the passenger seat, and the back seat full of kids.
Look into his eyes and you'll see the difference and longing to be free.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:22 AM
H-D Nomad
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think a motorcycle as symbol of freedom is a relic from a by gone era, when it was something different and seen as rebellious and free from the mundane things in life. This has stuck and probably always will.
However the freedom to me when riding my bike is a state of mind. It clears my head of all the crap that builds up in day to day life, puts problems into perspective and makes them easier to deal with sometimes they disappear all together. It frees my mind and spirt, I can go where I want when I want.
This to me is motorcycle freedom, it's physical as well as mental.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:09 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Sling Blade 14
If you want a good visual depicting freedom on a motorcycle, pull up next to a car driven by a guy, his wife in the passenger seat, and the back seat full of kids.
Passing a 40' toy hauler on the way to Sturgis, seeing my reflection in his shinny paint. Oh Yea.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:47 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I've seen that look. It also happens when I'm out loading up the bike at a hotel in the morning. Pretty much every time some guy will walk up, start with "Nice bike!" or something very close to that, and ask a few questions about where we've been, or where we're going. I'll answer, and there's always this moment of silence. The guy will be staring at the bike and I know he's picturing himself on that it. For that one very small slice of time that guy is at least dreaming of being free, and considers it a real possibility.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

..or the guy who compliments your bike and says, "I had a Harley once, but had to sell it..got a family, what ya gonna do?"
You can't be all things to everybody, you have to be all things to yourself first.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I felt free on my bike again when I stopped riding with this couple I used to know. The Rat and the Drama Queen.
Used to drive me and my wife nuts with all the behind the back talking she'd do to us about him. Hated that crap.
When I finally stopped riding tours with them it felt like...freedom. Like it should and not have to wonder what was up next for them at the next stop.
Dumped them off in Colorado and that was the last time I rode and not had fun.

Last edited by skidder; 02-10-2016 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
The gold Live to Ride, Ride to Live gas cap. Which you put on the pump when filling up by the way.
Just don't forget, lay it on the side cause if it's upside down you could scratch the eagle and if it's right side up it could pick up dirt and get that in your tank.
(Ode to an old winter thread)

Last edited by Blackfly; 02-10-2016 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Explanation
Old 02-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts

And the Billy Joel song - "I'm movin' out" which in the end of the video I think had an old thunderbird, but when I heard the song was always a Harley.

Last edited by Blackfly; 02-10-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:04 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Motorcycling is:THERAPY and FREEDOM

Funny you should say that.......I work as a therapist and listen to ppl's worries and woes all day long. At the end of the day, (season allowed) I look forward to just riding home (always the long way) with the sun in my face and the sounds and smells around me. I think the freedom that some ppl refer to is the fact that you and you alone are in control and have to be on top of your game to survive some of the idiots driving around you. One thing is for certain.....you have to be in the moment and pay attention to what is going on or just as quickly you could end up injured or dead!

Lobo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What makes a motorcycle a symbol of freedom?