General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Livewire or Empulse will they both just short out

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 02:51 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,378 Likes on 1,162 Posts
Default Livewire or Empulse will they both just short out

Or on Feb 19 will the Empulse be the only America electric bike on any dealers show floor. Where's Harleys Livewire ?

Old 02-07-2016, 03:03 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

I don't know but the Livewire is probably in Harleys file thirteen.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:44 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Low fuel prices won't help...

Old 02-07-2016, 04:08 PM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Or on Feb 19 will the Empulse be the only America electric bike on any dealers show floor. Where's Harleys Livewire ?
Harleys CEO says the Livewire is still a go its about a year out. Polaris has the advantage since they bought an existing brand that was already up and running and just stuck their name on it.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:24 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
Don't forget the Zero and the Lightning bikes and a few smaller US made scooters, I see a few Zero's regular around here. Livewire was a public trial test bed, was never meant to be a precursor to production.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:16 PM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't forget the Zero and the Lightning bikes and a few smaller US made scooters, I see a few Zero's regular around here. Livewire was a public trial test bed, was never meant to be a precursor to production.
No the Livewire will be a production bike.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

While I think there is a further market for electric motorcycles - I think its a longer future for Harley.....

Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

When it comes to making a battery powered electric vehicle, motorcycles make a lot of sense. Way less dead weight to drag around compared to a car.

That being said, I don't see electric motorcycles as either a replacement for or in competition with traditional motorcycles. They are a completely different thing. Different market. Different uses.

I see electric motorcycles as being more in the scooter space: Compact, light, cheap knock-around urban vehicles.

Whether the MoCo can get in on that is an open question. I think the general public perception of the HD brand is something like "overpriced motorcycles of questionable engineering explicitly marketed to aging Jax Teller wannabes". It is going to take a lot of effort to get the Millennial hipster crowd (the guys who currently are on scooters) to give them a try.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:04 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
When it comes to making a battery powered electric vehicle, motorcycles make a lot of sense. Way less dead weight to drag around compared to a car.

That being said, I don't see electric motorcycles as either a replacement for or in competition with traditional motorcycles. They are a completely different thing. Different market. Different uses.

I see electric motorcycles as being more in the scooter space: Compact, light, cheap knock-around urban vehicles.

Whether the MoCo can get in on that is an open question. I think the general public perception of the HD brand is something like "overpriced motorcycles of questionable engineering explicitly marketed to aging Jax Teller wannabes". It is going to take a lot of effort to get the Millennial hipster crowd (the guys who currently are on scooters) to give them a try.

Electric vehicles in general will not replace internal combustion until a breakthrough in the storage of electrical energy can be achieved. The problem of short range and loooooooooong recharge cycles will limit their utility for the foreseeable future. Then, too, there's the question of where the electrical energy to charge millions of EVs will come from. There's not enough electrical capacity to run our air conditioners in the summer now, and almost no new generating plants are being built.

As you said, the market for the time being is in urban transportation and short range commuting. I'm not sure this is a market where Harley can, or even wants to compete.

Last edited by Uncle G.; 02-08-2016 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:49 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 616 Likes on 385 Posts

LiveWire motorcycles will appeal to commuters and greenies and not much more.

Quick Reply: Livewire or Empulse will they both just short out