General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS for Harley/Bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Gfguy
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS for Harley/Bike

Hey guys, long story short, my Dad is 64 and has a flip phone. He's not into blasting music while driving or smart phones.

I owe him big time right now and I know he wants a gps for his Harley and all I know is he wants one that's for a bike and is waterproof. I want to make sure he has a headset of some kind so he isn't staring at the gps and winds up crashing.

I can't seem to find the right one online. So many options and most are all about the apps and smart phone and music, etc. I want a good gps, and a headset/ear piece so he can hear the GPS.

Any suggestions? I'd like to stick around $500 all said and done.

thanks!

Old 02-08-2016, 10:27 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Zumo 660 is made for motorcycles. Works great and is waterproof and glove friendly.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:35 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

You didn't mention what model or year of bike he has. If he has a newer one with the BOOM system, then it might be possible to buy the harley wired headset, and wiring harness so he doesn't have to blast the speakers to hear the GPS.

If he has an older bike, and your dad refuses to use a smartphone, and insists on sticking with his flip phone, then you're pretty much going to be restricted to a standalone GPS device mounted to the handlebars.

Honestly, the best way to solve this problem is with a smartphone and a bluetooth headset, like a SENA. My riding buddy and I have them, and they're wonderful. GPS instructions right in your ear, and the phone stays in your pocket. And, you can answer calls with one touch of your glove on the side of your helmet. Doesn't get any easier.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:56 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote here to use a smartphone. There's plenty of free apps about. Some of them can redirect you around traffic (Waze), but obviously need a data plan. But there's plenty where you can download the maps onto them. They are much easier to keep up to date (map wise) than a standalone GPS because of the cell data / wifi connectivity. But personally, I paid the few $ (for a few years access) for TomTom. It has traffic and a "windy roads" option for motorcycles. Also, it has the clearest display arrangement of any I've seen. On a bike, you want to be able to just glance and get all the information without having to focus on tiny details hidden away on the screen. TomTom solves this the best for me.

I use a bluetooth headset with speakers in the helmet. But you can also get earbuds which are also earplugs. I don't find they block enough of the exhaust noise (but are OK for wind noise), but YMMV. You can get little bluetooth headphone adapters for peanuts (eg off Amazon/ebay) so you don't have cables dangling around.

All-in-all, you can get a pretty sweet satnav setup very cheaply, and which performs better, than a standalone GPS unit.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:53 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 430 Likes on 258 Posts

I travel with friends who use cellphones to navigate. They are cheap; only reason to use a cell. My Zumo functions excellent and is weatherproof. Period. Updates are not a big deal; at home before a trip.
And I DON'T take calls while riding. Ever. I have that option...

Old 02-09-2016, 09:13 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Smart phone. Most up to date. Grab it and easily search where something is. Then next holiday buy him FOBO system to keep him safe.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Check this out, good price on a ZUMO 665 in the for sale forum
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/multi...o-665-gps.html

Old 02-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

If you opt for smart phone, get a Bad Elf GPS to add to it. It makes the GPS position lock in quickly without the use of cell towers. This is especially useful in remote areas.

Get the Garmin USA app with an iPhone 6S, a Mophie case, and a Bad Elf GPS receiver and you are golden.

A dedicated GPS that is specifically made for bikes is ridiculously overpriced.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnT...cycles-p1.html

Compared to an automotive type is $100-$200

Here is a link to the Bad Elf products.

http://bad-elf.com/

Personally, I keep my iPhone in a mophie case in my pocket. When I stop for gas or pee, I pull my phone out to check my position. If I am going somewhere specific, I memorize the next few turns of my route before rolling back out.

If a mounted system is preferred, here are some nice options.

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/

So, lots of options depending on what you want and how much you want to spend.

The following users liked this post:
Fatlou (03-06-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I have 2 Garmin zumos for both my bikes. I love them and I also have a detachable cable so the bike looks clean when I am not touring

Old 02-09-2016, 09:18 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot

A dedicated GPS that is specifically made for bikes is ridiculously overpriced.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cOnT...cycles-p1.html

Compared to an automotive type is $100-$200
while that may be somewhat true, you can get a garmin 660 from gps city for $329. and the motorcycle specific units are weatherproof, and have much better backlighting so you can actually see the screen in the daytime. I bought an automotive unit as my first foray into the gps thing. it was money wasted, imo.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-zumo-660lm.html

The following users liked this post:
Fatlou (03-06-2016)

Quick Reply: GPS for Harley/Bike