General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Super Store

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 06:14 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
Default New Super Store

Looks like a new super store in Metro Detroit. This even made the morning TV news today. Boy, I miss small shops.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...gmdpo.facebook

Old 02-09-2016, 06:30 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

It looks like Harley dealers are moving out of the boutique stage and into the super walmart stage. Is it that they can't make enough money selling bikes, t-shirts and trinkets so they have to include restaurants and movie theaters? Or is business so booming that they don't know what else to spend the money on? What's next a bungalow type "no-tell motel" setup? And I thought Detroit was a bankrupt, depressed area. Maybe I might see about buying up a couple of abandoned properties out that way.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:02 AM
reedyjm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
It looks like Harley dealers are moving out of the boutique stage and into the super walmart stage. Is it that they can't make enough money selling bikes, t-shirts and trinkets so they have to include restaurants and movie theaters? Or is business so booming that they don't know what else to spend the money on? What's next a bungalow type "no-tell motel" setup? And I thought Detroit was a bankrupt, depressed area. Maybe I might see about buying up a couple of abandoned properties out that way.
Yeah, this is in Farmington Hills. For local reference, this would be to Detroit as Lakeland is to Tampa (in distance). It's a pretty nice area.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:22 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

A virtual orgy of RUBs, baggers and Hog patches.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:48 AM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Gunna need to sell alotta $50 made in china T-shirts...

Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Basically its a developer building a strip mall that will include a Harley Davidson dealership - actually a pretty smart move on the HD dealer part to be part of center rather than a stand-alone building as he can sell his wears to those waiting to get into the movies & restaurants ....

Old 02-09-2016, 10:16 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Never been to a Drive-in theater on a Harley.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

You don't know what you're missin' Izzo :>)

Old 02-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Larry64
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Detroit is, kinda. The metro area has nice, and not so nice suburbs. Farmington Hills is a high rent area.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:54 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

From the article is sounds like the HD dealership will occupy a portion of the location and they hope to attract other business to fill out the rest of the space
The motorcycle dealership intends to start renovations in April and move into the building by late August, leaving its current location at 34900 Grand River in Farmington Hills. The dealership would fill 70,000 square feet of the 106,000-square-foot big box; it hopes to attract a brew pub restaurant and perhaps a gourmet market to fill the remaining space.
http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...club/80017468/

It also mentions they have outgrown their current location and the new location will allow them to hire another 20 employees. They will also be able to offer winter storage for up to 1200 bikes and have a facility for drive/ride in movies in the summer.

To me it sounds like a good business move. The other businesses in the complex will serve as possible new base of customers for HD and with a brew pub in the same complex as HD I am sure HD customers will be good for the business at the brew pub.

Wish there was something like that in my neck of the woods

Quick Reply: New Super Store