General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Private seller asking prices of used Harleys..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:27 AM
jkiser
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Private seller asking prices of used Harleys..

I find it amusing some of the prices I see on used Harley's on Craigslist, When will people understand accessories added to a bike will bring very little additional money from the buyer. Unless you find someone that loves the accessories installed which I suppose could happen. I buy and sell bikes often and I always look at KBB online and also what bikes are listed for before I list mine for sale. I then price my bike somewhere between trade in and retail, sometimes lower. I have seen people asking for OVER retail for a 5 or 6 year old bike which IMO is ridiculous. I have seen some used bikes that are 1 or 2 years old and people are asking the same price as someone could buy a brand new current year bike, The market is flooded with used Harley's now and its a buyers market so why do people continue to post bikes at ridiculous prices??

I have a 2005 Road King Classic I am trying to sell for $6995 which is 3K under KBB and much less than others I see on Craigslist and Cycle Trader but I have received no interest. I have seen other 05 RK's on Craigslist for over 10K!!! Those folks are crazy..

People look to buy from a private seller to save money off the ridiculous prices the Harley stealers charge.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by jkiser

I have a 2005 Road King Classic I am trying to sell for $6995 which is 3K under KBB and much less than others I see on Craigslist and Cycle Trader but I have received no interest.. .
Appears your expertise is workin' for ya.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:33 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

...and then if you significantly underprice, people will ignore your ad thinking something is wrong with the bike.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 AM
jkiser
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
...and then if you significantly underprice, people will ignore your ad thinking something is wrong with the bike.
I agree with this 100%...

Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 AM
jkiser
Cruiser

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Appears your expertise is workin' for ya.
Not sure what you mean by this.. I was just making a comment.. Not saying i'm an expert on anything..

Last edited by jkiser; 02-10-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:40 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default It's Not What You Ask

Amusing? Mabey! BUT If you snag the right person at the right time you can and will sell ANYTHING, even a Harley! I love my bike. When moving to FL, my wife simply passed a comment that I should sell it before moving and buy a new again once settled in. NO WAY! I like my bike (maybe even love it a little) to much. This is the bike of my dreams. I worked a lot of years and put off my self indulgences until the time was right to be able to concede to them.

NOW - THAT BEING SAID - Every once in a while someone will pass a comment to the effect of would I consider selling the bike and how much would it cost. My daddy didn't raise no fool! EVERYTHING is for sale. It's just a matter of how much and the buyers ability to pay it. Do I wake every day thinking about how much I could sell my bike for? NO Do I throw out an occasional number that I would take? ABSOLUTELY

Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

The thing about selling is the Seller can ask whatever price they wish, it's the Buyers duty to know what he's buying and what's its worth to them....

Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
jkiser
Cruiser

I also think a lot of people list their bike for sale and really don't want to sell it. They just want to see what its worth to someone..

Old 02-10-2016, 10:14 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Its all a matter of perspective. There is no single price for anything. There's the "gotta sell it this week" price. There's the "I'll hold onto it as long as I care to" price. There's the January price. There's the April price.

When I look at ads, I really don't pay much attention to the asking price. Most of the time, it's a shot in the dark anyway. If I'm interested, I'll try to make a deal. If the seller isn't interested in my price, so be it, but you never know until you ask.

PS: There does seem to be something going on in the HD world that some owners are having trouble adjusting to. These things aren't holding value like they used to. It's a buyer's market for sure.

Last edited by 0maha; 02-10-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 524 Likes on 363 Posts

Also, keep in mind on how you are showing the bike. You can't just put a cheap price and put crappy pictures to reflect on that. If you make your bike stand out and the price is right for them, you will get buyers. Sometimes too low of a price might defer some buyers, but you have to at least give a good reason. To me if the price is too good to be true, then it probably is. Use supporting evidence saying that its priced to sell and below nada values. Some people just put out stupid *** prices knowing that they wont get a sale or are being very unreasonable. Especially the tone of the ad. If the tone of you ad sounds like you are a sociopath or some crazy old bearded dude that will take no more or no less. Or gets easily offended, then there is a reason why no one will buy it.

Quick Reply: Private seller asking prices of used Harleys..