General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

soon to be owner of 2000 Harley sportster 883.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:39 PM
gentlejax
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soon to be owner of 2000 Harley sportster 883.

Im new to bikes. havnt owned one in many years. Dont know anything about Harleys but I posted a wanted to buy add and I have a man with 2 different bikes he would sell me.

1st is a 1993 Honda Nighthawk cb750. its mint. he got it in 08 with less than 1000 miles from a collector . since then he has put around 13K on it. it looks like new from the pics. tires are new.

2nd is a 2000 sportster 883. it also in great shape. has a different seat than original. needs a new rear tire. clean bike as well.

the guy has several more bikes so he is making me a decent offer to get them out of storage .

He wants $1800 for the Honda and $2000 for the 883. I want to get the 883 first off cause the resale is higher and it has 1 carb instead of 4 so simple is better/.

Since this is the harley forum I am just looking for advice on what I need to look for or what I need to change on the 883. I have read something about rubber engine mounts as a improvement on the 06 models or something like that.

I want to get the harley but I also want to enjoy it soon as possible and with the least amount of issue. I talked to the guy for a while and he seems to be very knowledgeable on both bikes.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:05 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Honda cb 750 is a very good bike and the asking price isn't bad. It may be a better option than a sporty that needs new tires...

Old 02-13-2016, 05:06 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

I've had Ironhead, hard mount Evo and rubber mount Evo Sportsters. I love them all. Personally, I'd get the Sporty. They're reliable, fun, very easy to maintain and work on and they're great looking.

The price seems fair if in good, well maintained, overall condition. Check to make sure the trans is shifting well. After it gets to operating temps, you can usually smell the exhaust fumes to get some idea of the condition of the bike. Check for smoke also. Look for signs of rust. Particularly under the bike and the frame. A 2000 will eventually need some work like replacing the brake fluid and other seals that may have dried out. Especially if the bike hasn't been ridden regularly or for years at a time. Also, regardless of what the owner tells you, you should replace all of the fluids and oil filter if you decide to buy it. Check the drive belt to make sure it's in good condition. I belt is highly reliable but can have caught a stone or something and gotten damaged. Make sure the clutch doesn't slip. Make sure all the lights function probably. Check the bake pads.

Sportster Evo engines can sound quite mechanical compared to Japanese brands. That said, if you know what your listening for you can detect probable catastrophic issues. If it sounds like a well oiled machine (even a tractor sounds good when running) then it should be pretty good. If it sounds clanky then there could be potential issues. If you have the ability, do a compression test. It's not usually necessary, but I have done them on Ironheads.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:48 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

My 1st HD was a 2001 883; many dollars later a 100hp 1200...but that's another story. When I am done touring (on my second Dyna) I will probably go back to a non-rubber mount EVO sporty (00-05). The vibes are a bit much for extended touring, but the fun quotient was the highest of any HD I've ridden; up to a 120R Road Glide.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:51 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorlaw
Honda cb 750 is a very good bike and the asking price isn't bad. It may be a better option than a sporty that needs new tires...
I agree and the 2000 Sportster is not rubber mounted so be ready for a lot of vibration.....I mean a lot. The Sportster was redesigned in 2004 and rubber mounted with a stiffer frame.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:59 PM
maydaymike
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 29 Posts

If performance is a concern, you should know that the Nighthawk will run circles around a stock sportster. But $2000 is a pretty good price for a running Sporty, even a solid mount.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,186 Likes on 5,613 Posts

I owned a 2000 883 Sporty too, bought it brand new. Great bike for around town, barhopping, and short rides. Anything over 2 hours or about 100-120 miles is tough though. It will beat you up if you ride it long distances. I would still say get the Sportster. That's a good price and as long as you don't have to sink a ton into it to get it on the road you will likely be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it in a year or two when its time for a different bike.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

These people that are saying it's gonna vibrate a lot because it's not rubber mounted are nuts.
I have a 1998 sportster and I love it.

Buy the sportster. Do the required maintenance. And ride the **** out of it

Old 02-14-2016, 02:32 PM
04Hali
Road Warrior
Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
These people that are saying it's gonna vibrate a lot because it's not rubber mounted are nuts.
I have a 1998 sportster and I love it.

Buy the sportster. Do the required maintenance. And ride the **** out of it
Saying the solid mounted Sportsters don't vibrate is nuts. They do and that's why HD rubber mounted them, if not why waste the money to do it. Having said that I wouldn't mind having one for around town.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 331 Likes on 180 Posts

883s are great, bulletproof bikes, you won't find a better, more reliable bike for the money. They vibrate less than the 1200, get great mileage, about 50, and last forever. You can ride that bike for years and still get the $2K for it when you are done.

Quick Reply: soon to be owner of 2000 Harley sportster 883.