General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get comfortable riding in traffic??

Old 02-22-2016, 12:04 PM
thegoldminer45@gmail.com
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to get comfortable riding in traffic??

I have ridden bikes off and on for many years.

When I was younger it didn't bother me to ride in traffic. Now I'm older and it worries me.

They drive like they want to kill you here in South Florida it seems.

I love riding my chopped Sporty I've wanted a Harley my whole life and now I have one and they maniacs on the road are taking my joy out of it.

I feel fine on back roads, but as soon as I get on a main road I feel so tense. I'm almost anticipating the impact.

I went for a ride for an hour yesterday and was almost hit 3 times.

People running red lights, and stop signs. They also love to merge into you like you're not even there.

I try to stay back or well ahead of cars, but you cant always control where you are or who is around you.

Yesterday I was making a left turn from a stop. The opposing lane of on coming traffic should have had a red light. As I was turning and coming onto the straight away this person in a van comes from there right lane into my left lane. I saw them out of the corner of my vision and was able to move over slightly and twist the throttle and get away from him. Had someone been in front of me that would not have been a viable option. I had to pull over for a few. It was very nerve racking.

I have loud pipes, he should have heard me if not at least seen me. He should have stayed in his lane or not turned right at all.

It's really taking my love of riding away.

How do you get past it all? Do you get used to the stupidity?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

You need to ride as though you are invisible. Keep your head on a swivel looking for potential trouble, and keep in mind that if someone looks like they might have the chance of creating a situation for you, they probably will. And above all, stay out of cage drivers blind spots. Do a double-check at every signal light and stop sign to look for someone who may or may not stop. Just don't squirt out as soon as the light changes. Always stagger and leave yourself an escape route.

That van driver probably didn't even see you. I had a close encounter with a city bus last week under similar circumstances.

You need to be hyper-aware. Then, you can always take the less traveled long way around. I do this every day on my work commute.

Y'know, after riding bicycles as my primary commuter vehicle for a lot of years, these things became ingrained. It really helps me now. The primary thing is acting as though you're invisible. Do that, and you can keep yourself out of harms way

Last edited by Mike Lawless; 02-22-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:22 PM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Contrary to the BS, loud pipes do not save lives. What will help save your life is good riding skills. Courses like the MSF Advanced Rider's Course, MSF Basic Bike Bonding, MSF Ultimate Bike Bonding, Ride like a Pro,... will help.

Learn how to control your bike. The better you can control your bike the safer you can get. Quick stops, obstacle avoidance, maintain multiple escape paths, awareness of what is around you,... These things will help make you more comfortable.

With all this said - there are some places I wouldn't ride unless I have no choice. Time of day can be a major influence on where I ride also.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:35 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

You never get use to it, it's nut's out there and YES, They are trying to kill you.
60% or more drivers know they are bigger then you, therefore YOU must get out of THEIR way. (that's the mentality)
110% Defensive Riding all the time.
Eye contact no longer works, they are too busy using their eyes and ears to text and blue-tooth to pay attention to the road.

Long story short;
You should never be at ease or comfortable riding in traffic.

The following users liked this post:
junior07 (05-23-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 12:45 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,625 Likes on 3,211 Posts

The days are long gone when you could depend on other drivers to do what they "should" have done. I started riding again six years ago after being off for 30+ years, and things are a lot different than they were back in the 80's.

Increasing traffic volumes, more driver distractions and the general "me-first" attitude of most of modern society means that, as Mike said, you are simply not on many motorists' radar.

Taking steps to increase your visibility to other drivers (lighting, bright clothing) may help somewhat but not when people are driving around staring at their crotches while messing with their phones. So the onus is on you to practice situational awareness; at times this may mean riding more aggressively rather than always taking the defensive.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:46 PM
thegoldminer45@gmail.com
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by mdm
Contrary to the BS, loud pipes do not save lives. What will help save your life is good riding skills. Courses like the MSF Advanced Rider's Course, MSF Basic Bike Bonding, MSF Ultimate Bike Bonding, Ride like a Pro,... will help.

Learn how to control your bike. The better you can control your bike the safer you can get. Quick stops, obstacle avoidance, maintain multiple escape paths, awareness of what is around you,... These things will help make you more comfortable.

With all this said - there are some places I wouldn't ride unless I have no choice. Time of day can be a major influence on where I ride also.
I did take the MSF course. I also practice slow speed maneuvers and panic stops. I came off of sport bikes and a Harley is very different. It doesn't stop as fast but it is much easier to turn at low speed to me anyway

I wouldn't go back to sportbikes myself. I like cruising now.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:49 PM
thegoldminer45@gmail.com
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JohnMn
You never get use to it, it's nut's out there and YES, They are trying to kill you.
60% or more drivers know they are bigger then you, therefore YOU must get out of THEIR way. (that's the mentality)
110% Defensive Riding all the time.
Eye contact no longer works, they are too busy using their eyes and ears to text and blue-tooth to pay attention to the road.

Long story short;
You should never be at ease or comfortable riding in traffic.
Well this is good to know. I thought something was wrong with me here LOL.

It literally scares me riding on main roads anymore. I love riding more than I am scared of the idiots. So I will keep at it.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:11 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

I feel the same way. When I first started riding I wouldn't even think twice about riding the Southeast Expressway right into downtown Boston on my Sportster. Now that I'm older, the thought of doing that ride in anything less than an M1A1 main battle tank gives me a chill. Stay alert, keep your situational awareness peaked and expect the unexpected.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I call it, "Road Surfing."
I absolutely rely on my peripheral vision at all times, never focus on one thing like a near miss because it blinds you to the next threat.
Look at a point on the wall at eye level, put both arms straight ahead at eye level, index fingers pointing up. Move both your arms straight out at your side while looking at a point in front of you.
When you can't see both fingers to your left or right, that is your limit- ride according to that.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,098 Likes on 1,490 Posts

South Florida area....like Homestead? That hectic line of cars coming and going to the keys? Or worse...around Miami? Bottom of I95, or Rt 1 area! Ugh...dunno how you do it.
Crazy roads there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get comfortable riding in traffic??