General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Seat Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,198 Likes on 939 Posts
Default New Seat Question

Hi all,

I just replaced my stock seat o my Fat Boy with a saddleman King Seat. Took the bike out for it's first ride last sat with the new seat...the seat seemed to move me forward a little bit which I'm not crazy about and it seemed a little hard. I didn't get to put a lot of miles on the bike.

I guess my question is for those of you that changed your seats...how long did you give the new seat to break in or did you know right away if this was the seat for you?

Old 02-23-2016, 07:22 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

About 500 miles before my Ultimate seat started to feel softer, but I was happy with the position and shape of it right away. The stock Fatboy seat sucked IMO, tailbone pain within 20 minutes.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 752 Likes on 460 Posts

I guess I'm with Lauren in that I was happy with the position of my Signature Series Seat immediately.
However I researched the reviews of the seat and was able to demo the seat for a weekend.

Like you noted; my new seat pushed me forward a bit.
It also lowered me about an inch.
Neither was a surprise since both characteristics seem to match what others had commented about the seat.

Also being somewhat vertically challenge (5' 8") the move forward and downward was a welcomed adjustment.

As for how long it was before it got broken in; my seat was already gently used so there really wasn't any break in period, but it did take a few hundred miles for me to get used to it.

My recommendation is to give it a few months and a few thousand miles then decide if something else is warranted.

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-23-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:56 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
Hi all,

I just replaced my stock seat o my Fat Boy with a saddleman King Seat. Took the bike out for it's first ride last sat with the new seat...the seat seemed to move me forward a little bit which I'm not crazy about and it seemed a little hard. I didn't get to put a lot of miles on the bike.

I guess my question is for those of you that changed your seats...how long did you give the new seat to break in or did you know right away if this was the seat for you?
When I went from my stock Badlander seat to my Corbin Gunfighter, I can't honestly say how many miles it took me to get used to it but I do know that the more that I rode the better it felt. Some things just take time and it can also depend on the person that is sitting on the seat as to how long it takes them to make the adjustments from the old to the new. I do know that, since I ride so much, that it only took me a couple of weeks and my new seat felt great.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:24 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
When I went from my stock Badlander seat to my Corbin Gunfighter, I can't honestly say how many miles it took me to get used to it but I do know that the more that I rode the better it felt. Some things just take time and it can also depend on the person that is sitting on the seat as to how long it takes them to make the adjustments from the old to the new. I do know that, since I ride so much, that it only took me a couple of weeks and my new seat felt great.
I'll just add to Springer by saying that after getting a Corbin I realized that shape is MUCH more important than softness. My Corbin is hard as a rock but comfortable as hell. Can ride all day without monkey butt. JMO

Old 02-24-2016, 06:47 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,198 Likes on 939 Posts

Thanks everyone. I am going to give it some timeto get used to..well once the weather decides to get better here.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:13 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Not a new seat for me but a seat alteration and the folks at mean city cycles told me 6-800 miles for it to get right.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:44 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I'll just add to Springer by saying that after getting a Corbin I realized that shape is MUCH more important than softness. My Corbin is hard as a rock but comfortable as hell. Can ride all day without monkey butt. JMO
I agree with you because that's what I found out also about my Corbin, hard but comfortable and I might also add that I personally prefer a leather seat over a vinyl seat because leather will breathe where my vinyl seat didn't.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:04 PM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Recently got a new Danny Grey Airhawk seat; first ride was not promising at all (100 miles??). 2nd and 3rd rides were a lot better. In this case it seems like the seat is breaking in nicely. Hoping it continues as the miles go by.

Almost immediately I did know I like the seat position better, no more pushing me up to the tank like the stock seat did.