General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rekluse EXP clutch system, cool!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:17 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Rekluse EXP clutch system, cool!

In this month's AI mag there is an article on installation of what is called a Rekluse EXP clutch. The way it works it reminds me of an old '48 Dodge I owned which had a semi-automatic transmission called fluid drive. Say you are in stop & go traffic you can have it in first gear with the clutch engaged & the bike will stay stationary until you give it gas. Otherwise, it operates like a stock clutch. They claim it is great for slow speed manuvering since you don't have to worry about using the friction zone. It will set you back $799.

Last edited by streeteagle; 02-24-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:12 PM
AZTeufelhunde
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got to try one of these last year. I am a member of the "Harley Davidson of Scottsdale Drill Team" and the vendor thought it would be great for us. They had a 30 Day money back guarantee so I tried it out. I liked the way it worked and the only real downside that I didn't like (besides the price) was that with the engine off your bike is essentially in neutral all the time. So parking on any kind of a slope could be a problem. I returned it just before the 30 days were up really just because it didn't make the bike $800 better so not worth it to me. If anyone has problems clutching in heavy traffic or just problems clutching alot this will help alot.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:09 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

How was it for cone work? Is there a way to switch back to manual so you can use the friction zone and rear brake for tight stuff?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM
Gypsylady
-Moderator-"Wench with a Wrench and Queen of Quips"
Received 1,980 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
How was it for cone work? Is there a way to switch back to manual so you can use the friction zone and rear brake for tight stuff?
If it's like the EFM Autoclutch, you should be able to use it normally. I couldn't tell you for sure because I eliminated my clutch lever when I got mine. Needed the bar space for my prosthetic hand.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:12 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Neat but totally unnecessary.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:30 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

My parts guy was telling me about it. Also, claims that once engaged it locks up better than the conventional clutch.

But, on the TriGlide I don't like the idea that with the engine off the clutch is disengaged. Really need the engine to keep the best in place.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:40 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very popular with Dirt bikes and ATVs . Not sure how it would be on a Harley.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:54 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Neat but totally unnecessary.
sure, who needs one? except for the guy (or girl) with the prosthetic, or who has bad arthritis, or if you live in an area with a whole lot of stop and go traffic, or who rides in a lot of parades. otherwise, totally unnecessary

Old 02-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
But, on the TriGlide I don't like the idea that with the engine off the clutch is disengaged. Really need the engine to keep the best in place.
Umm... don't you have a parking brake...?

The dealership had them out for one of the weekend events and a UFC fight. saw a demo of it up close. the vendor almost hit my bike while I was getting on it.

seems like a great idea, but I cannot justify the cost at this point.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:36 PM
AZTeufelhunde
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
It acts just like a normal clutch so cone work didn't really change. I suppose if I worked with it longer I might be able to do tight cone work without touching the clutch lever. But the cost to benefit was not there.

Quick Reply: Rekluse EXP clutch system, cool!