General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you make principal only payments thru HDFS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:01 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts
Default Can you make principal only payments thru HDFS?

Curious about this. I make them online. Is it possible and if so, how do I denote that in my payment?

TIA

Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 AM
rzrectd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know as well.
On a side note.....why would Harley gouge a customer with a fee to pay online....?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:21 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by rzrectd
I'd like to know as well.
On a side note.....why would Harley gouge a customer with a fee to pay online....?
Its not gouging, its a fee. They would prefer traditional payments. A check does not cost them cc fees. And online processing in mass can lead to data theft

Old 02-28-2016, 09:38 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

If you are making one time payments there is a fee involved, but you can set automatic payments in various forms. From weekly, no weekly and monthly with no charge. You still get charged interest no matter what day you pay. It won't be a lot but you still be charged

Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

this comes up quite regular. hdfs loans are 'simple' interest loans, and interest is computed on a daily basis. if you want to pay your loan down, just add extra into your regular payment amount. the interest will be paid first, then the rest will go to principal. i don't believe that they will do a 'principal only' reduction if you send them a second (or subsequent) payment. but it won't really matter, the loan will be paid off at the same time either way.

as far as paying fees to make a payment, if you set up a recurring monthly payment, there is no fee involved. and you can set up your payment amount to be any amount over the minimum payment amount. i have mine rounded up to the next $50. that alone will reduce my payments due by 6 months.

if you don't want to set up a recurring payment, then use your bank's billpay system. there is no fee (from hdfs) to do that.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:10 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
this comes up quite regular. hdfs loans are 'simple' interest loans, and interest is computed on a daily basis. if you want to pay your loan down, just add extra into your regular payment amount. the interest will be paid first, then the rest will go to principal. i don't believe that they will do a 'principal only' reduction if you send them a second (or subsequent) payment. but it won't really matter, the loan will be paid off at the same time either way.

as far as paying fees to make a payment, if you set up a recurring monthly payment, there is no fee involved. and you can set up your payment amount to be any amount over the minimum payment amount. i have mine rounded up to the next $50. that alone will reduce my payments due by 6 months.

if you don't want to set up a recurring payment, then use your bank's billpay system. there is no fee (from hdfs) to do that.
Got ya, thanks. I just couldn't recall what type of loan I had. Just liked the .99 interest and figured I can beat that and inflation by investing.

I swallow the $3 monthly fee by paying with Credit Card as I get nice rewards that justifies the fee.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:10 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch

This.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:28 PM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want to save money on interest, you need to get your payments ahead. I did this on a personal loan, my payment was $158.xx. So I paid monthly $250.00 and every month I'd get bill for my payment, each month it would be less. Then I started getting bills for $0.00 amount due and I would continue to pay $250.00 and 100% of it was eventually going towards the principal. It takes time, cause your interest is computed daily. Once you get your payments ahead, you basically stopped the interest.

The following 2 users liked this post by Robjr:
Karen Bellavia (01-28-2020), rockabillygrl (08-07-2017)
Old 02-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,530 Likes on 3,783 Posts

Keep records of you payments. Those confirmation numbers, date and the amount. Save PDF to a folder labeled appropriately. Read you contract. Some car loans have a fee for paying off early since I would think the interest is on the unpaid balance, not just the payment, so even the notion you are paying off the last payment still implies interest cost. However, it will be less since you are doing the last payment now instead of 3 years from now.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 02-28-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:48 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I just pay extra every month and this reflects on the principal owed. Also helps out your credit score.

Quick Reply: Can you make principal only payments thru HDFS?