General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the dealer today

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:04 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Went to the dealer today

a friend of mine just had his first Harley delivered to his house yesterday, brand new 2015 limited. Gorgeous bike. I found out another friend I haven't seen in a while has a 2015 cvo street glide. I figured I would get them both a gremlin bell to say grats. Off to the dealer I go. I didn't even make in the door when I was assaulted by a salesman trying to get me onto a 16 cvo rgu. Nice bike but I have the bike of my dreams right now. A paid in full 2012 street glide. Told him that right up front. I listened to his pitch, learned about the bike. Then he said I had to check out the 16 cvo street glide, black with black ghost flames. Fell in love right away. No, I did not buy it. I have my dream bike, remember. He wouldn't let it go. He walked me over to the accessories department and introduced me to the girl I needed to talk to for the bells. Pretty little thing she was. Checked out some clothes and parts and started to walk out. Figured I would look and drool one more time at the cvo sg. He told me to take a picture and asked if I wanted to sit on it. I told him he was a good salesman and tried to walk away. He followed me outside and started showing me sgs's. Guy was relentless. I told him he needed to find someone that was willing to buy so he could make a sale. His boat is going up the wrong river. Finally got to check out the bikes in peace. Nice machines they are

Old 02-28-2016, 07:15 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

Cool story

Old 02-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,413 Posts

I marvel at the persistence of salesmen like that. They are a special breed. I don't have what it takes to be a salesman. I've been doing business at the same dealer for twenty five years. The sales people there know I am a long term customer and don't try to high pressure me in any way. But if one of them tried to do that in a friendly way, I wouldn't mind. The salesman would be told by me at the beginning that he wasn't going to make the sale, so I wouldn't feel bad if he wanted to just talk to me about the bike. I cannot conceive of my walking out of a dealer having bought a bike that I didn't intend to buy when I came in. I think about these things for awhile before I buy.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,670 Likes on 6,681 Posts

I must be doing something wrong. I never get pitched at a Harley dealer.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:05 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 525 Likes on 364 Posts

Do you happen to be in HD target demographic? Old and over 50?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:13 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What dealer was this? I usually never even get approached in the showroom, but I agree it's nice to be able to look around without being accosted.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Aggressor05
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rufasim
a friend of mine just had his first Harley delivered to his house yesterday, brand new 2015 limited. Gorgeous bike. I found out another friend I haven't seen in a while has a 2015 cvo street glide. I figured I would get them both a gremlin bell to say grats. Off to the dealer I go. I didn't even make in the door when I was assaulted by a salesman trying to get me onto a 16 cvo rgu. Nice bike but I have the bike of my dreams right now. A paid in full 2012 street glide. Told him that right up front. I listened to his pitch, learned about the bike. Then he said I had to check out the 16 cvo street glide, black with black ghost flames. Fell in love right away. No, I did not buy it. I have my dream bike, remember. He wouldn't let it go. He walked me over to the accessories department and introduced me to the girl I needed to talk to for the bells. Pretty little thing she was. Checked out some clothes and parts and started to walk out. Figured I would look and drool one more time at the cvo sg. He told me to take a picture and asked if I wanted to sit on it. I told him he was a good salesman and tried to walk away. He followed me outside and started showing me sgs's. Guy was relentless. I told him he needed to find someone that was willing to buy so he could make a sale. His boat is going up the wrong river. Finally got to check out the bikes in peace. Nice machines they are
LOL I walked into the dealership by my house(4 miles away) Sept 1st to see if they had any new 16 CVO's there were 4 customers in the whole place , I was there for like 15 minutes, not 1 salesman asked if I was interested in anything, I ended up buying my bike from a dealer over an hour away

Old 02-28-2016, 10:08 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,670 Likes on 6,681 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Do you happen to be in HD target demographic? Old and over 50?
Yep. 57 years old & riding a 22 year old bike.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Everyone at my dealer knows I'm going for the mileage record on my 07 Ultra (91,000 so far). The service department knows me quite well.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:51 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,172 Likes on 6,217 Posts

The last time I was hounded by a salesman he ended up asking me if I would like to join them in this century.

I had to laugh at that one.

Quick Reply: Went to the dealer today