General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB sucks even worse after detaching Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:18 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default CB sucks even worse after detaching Tour Pak

Detached my Tour Pak and relocated the shorty antennas down by the fender with the antenna relocation kits. I notice that when I use the CB, nobody can hear me transmitting if they are more than 10 or 12 feet away from me. I checked the CD cable connection under the seat and it's tight. Could it be because the shorty antennas are so low now?

Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,667 Likes on 6,679 Posts

You need to tune your antenna with a swr (standing wave ratio) meter. You should be able to buy one at a truck stop.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:40 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Doesn't a CB need a ground reference point...such as the plate in the tour pack.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:54 PM
slowrollin
Road Master

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Doesn't a CB need a ground reference point...such as the plate in the tour pack.
I don't know about that. I had the work done at the shop and they used Harley's relocation kit.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Andy02
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Depends on the antenna. Some are known as "zero ground plane" antennas. However, that doesn't mean that the bike needs one. While not optimal, the bike itself can and does provide a ground plane. Op, your first order of business is to determine just how far you want to be able to talk to people. Right now, you are limited by a number of factors. The length of the antenna is a lim-fac, the placement of the antenna is a lim-fac, the tune of the antenna is a lim-fac, and the lack of a real ground plane is a lim-fac. If you are looking to be able to talk 30-40 feet, what you have can likely be made to work. If you are looking to talk 1/4 mile plus, you have some work in front of you. Before keying the mic anymore, I would highly suggest you tune the antenna. If you don't and your SWR is off as much as I would bet that it is, you will blow the finals in your radio in no time flat. They may already be gone just with trying to test it out.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:14 PM
slowrollin
Road Master

Originally Posted by Andy02
Depends on the antenna. Some are known as "zero ground plane" antennas. However, that doesn't mean that the bike needs one. While not optimal, the bike itself can and does provide a ground plane. Op, your first order of business is to determine just how far you want to be able to talk to people. Right now, you are limited by a number of factors. The length of the antenna is a lim-fac, the placement of the antenna is a lim-fac, the tune of the antenna is a lim-fac, and the lack of a real ground plane is a lim-fac. If you are looking to be able to talk 30-40 feet, what you have can likely be made to work. If you are looking to talk 1/4 mile plus, you have some work in front of you. Before keying the mic anymore, I would highly suggest you tune the antenna. If you don't and your SWR is off as much as I would bet that it is, you will blow the finals in your radio in no time flat. They may already be gone just with trying to test it out.
I wouldn't know the first thing about using a meter or tuning the antenna. Is this something the dealer would do? Is there some other type of shop that would do this?

Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

that sucks.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Andy02
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slowrollin
I wouldn't know the first thing about using a meter or tuning the antenna. Is this something the dealer would do? Is there some other type of shop that would do this?
The dealer may or may not have tuned it. The fact of the matter is that CB tuning is a lost art. It used to be that you could walk into any truck stop in the world and have your antenna tuned. Now, your best bet is to find a CB shop, which are few and far between (my closest one is an hour away), find an amateur (HAM) radio operator, or find some local Jeepers that actually wheel. Any of those people should be able to assist you in tuning and usually they own or can get an SWR meter.

Old 02-28-2016, 08:55 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

You might be able to find a SWR meter on fleabay with instructions.......came from the 70's so I remember.........you're looking for a one to one ratio......yes they NEED to be tuned....the stealers dont know what CB stands for....
A shorty antenna might not be the best for a CB.......each antenna for a certain frequency has to be a certain length.......I removed my CB but still have the antenna for looks for symmetry....

Old 02-28-2016, 10:17 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

You guys that mention tuning a stock HD antenna, how do you do that? On a standard CB antenna, you lengthen it, lower it, cut coils out of it, etc. I see no way to do this on a HD unit?

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the links below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Quick Reply: CB sucks even worse after detaching Tour Pak