General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular/Full-Face Fitment for Fathead/Thick-necked People

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 PM
17FiXxXeR75
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Modular/Full-Face Fitment for Fathead/Thick-necked People

I'm sure it's an odd question, especially since I searched and couldn't find an answer. (If I missed another similar thread, please point me in the right direction.) Just bear with me.

I went to a helmet shop where I tried on a Shoei Neotec. It was my first time even trying a full-face or modular on. Sales guy helped me get a size that fit correctly around the circumference of my head. I didn't fasten the chin strap, but with the chin bar up OR down, the helmet was pressing on/very near my carotid. I didn't get light-headed, but I didn't like the sensation at all. The sales guy swapped out the cheek pieces to see if it made a difference and it didn't. I wore it for about 10-15 minutes in the store, but it never let up.

I asked about padding break-in and whether or not he thought wearing the helmet would let it loosen up over time. He couldn't say and I wasn't interested in paying $600+ for a "maybe." He never tried to steer me towards any other modular or full-face helmets and I ended up leaving empty-handed.

It wasn't until I got home that I began to wonder if all full-face/modulars would feel that way or if it was something with the Shoei design. I'm 6' 275lbs so I thought the size of my neck might be the problem instead of the helmet.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Will I just have to lose weight if I'm to get a full-face/modular helmet or am I relegated to 1/2 helmets and skid lids?

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:49 PM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am the exact same size and i use a lazer carbon monaco modular. I got a xl with thinner cheek pads and now im good. I did have to flatten even the smaller pads by putting them under my bed to help though. It was super uncomfortable before and I could not take it before the change. So I would have to imagine breaking it in would have the same results as me. But it still is a risky decision for you I'd imagine at $600. I gambled when the lazer was on sale and it paid off.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 AM
georgewerr
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You need to get a cloth measuring tape and measure your head just above your ears. this will tell you your size. Some of us fat headed people have a very limited option of helmets. The largest helmets that I could find is with HJC but even there selection is limited in larger sizes. I take a 4XL and they have a couple of lines that go up to 5XL. Harley branded Helmets are HJC rebranded as Harleys and can get any size that HJC makes. My dealer did not stock the larger sizes though.

Also everyones head is a different shape and each manufactures helmet does not fit different shapes.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:19 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Did you try on any other helmets? that one lid might not be right for you but another brand might work perfectly. If there is a cycle Gear near you, head on over. They have a lot of different brands that you can try.
To bad about the Neotec. I just got one. First modular ever, and first non half helmet in about 6 years.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:41 AM
wilsoda
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 5'11" and 280 and found that the Schuberth C3 Pro works well for me. Shoei's never worked well for me when I tried them at the store. Had an HJC full face that fit well, but never tried their modular.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:54 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

As important as the size is the shape. You may have a round head or oval or somewhere in between. I have a more Arai shaped head than Shoei.

Lots of good reading here...
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...met-shapes.htm

Old 02-29-2016, 09:00 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,340 Likes on 2,199 Posts

I had the same prob w/the neotec. On advice I checked out a Scorpion modular. They have the 230.00 version and the lightweight 330.00 version. I loved the cheaper helmet and its been my lid of choice. It was slightly tight - not TIGHT or uncomfortable and broke in perfectly in short order. I have a 17 1/2 neck and a big old east European coconut head.. lol...

Old 02-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Although I'm not a big guy, my melon is big. The measuring tape says XL, but there's not an XL i've found that fits due to the shape of my head. I wanted the Shoe to fit. I really liked the helmet. It just wouldn't. WAY too tight in the cheeks. "it's supposed to be snug, and it will break in with time."

Yeah well, maybe. But I'm certainly not gonna spend $500 on a helmet that feels like my cheeks are in a vice. Big Papa is absolutely right. Shape is as important as size. Some manufacturers specialize in a certain shape. Icon for example touts it's "long oval" shape. I can't wear that.

Like Uncle Kebo, I also ended up with the less expensive Scorpion Exo900 modular as well as a Sedici modular. Both snug, but not uncomfortable so. Noisy, yes. I have to wear earplugs with both.

One of these days, I'd like to find someone with a Schuberth in stock in my size to try. I've heard really good things about 'em

Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a freaking huge melon too. I have HJC CJ-17 helmet and it is the best I have found so far. I also live in a place where finding a helmet is a PITA....I messaged Shoei and they recommended me checking out the Qwest line. Unfortunately no one near me has much so I either drop the dough and have it shipped or sit and wait for an opportunity to check it out at a store some day when I am out and about...

Now add to this...I am claustrophobic...so putting on a helmet kind of makes me a little...well...yea....

Old 02-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

To expand some on Roadblocks comment about having one shipped.

I would vigorously recommend that you DO NOT buy one mail order that you can't try on. Most places have free shipping back and forth with excellent exchange policies, and Revzilla is among the best. But it all takes a lot of time.

I bought a Bell revolver modular via mail order based on the Bell race helmet I use in my drag race car. Love the race helmet. HATE the revolver. Cheap piece of crap.

I'd drive two hours to a store that I can try stuff on before buying mail-order again.

Quick Reply: Modular/Full-Face Fitment for Fathead/Thick-necked People