General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you ever done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 11:24 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,528 Likes on 683 Posts
Default Are you ever done?

I swore that when I bought my Ultra Limited, That I wouldn't need to do anything to it as it comes with everything from the MoCo. Then I rode it and my right foot was burning so I replaced the head pipe with Cobra PowerPort Duels. Then I put the K&N 1614 air cleaner which of course meant I had to adjust the fuel delivery, so I bought the Fl-Vieds. Messed around with that for a while and started with the slip ons. Tried drilling some addition relief holes in the stock cans. Didn't like it. Put my old PowerMaster mufflers with 2" baffles on. To loud. Tried some CVO mufflers. Way to quiet (I think they were quieter than the stock mufflers). I now have a set of SE Street Cannons. Along the way somewhere I switched out the Fl-Vieds for a FP3.

Went out on Sunday for a few hours and I still can't seem to find the right exhaust tone for me. So I have been thinking about what to put in the exhaust to act as a baffle to give some back pressure to the exhaust (the Street Cannons are the newer version with a straight through baffle). I looked at smaller diameter baffles to put inside the existing baffles but decided against that. I was going to get flat stock, cut out a disc, drill holes and mount between muffler and end caps. I was thinking about how to do this when the light bulb went off in my head. I had two old oil filters laying around. I cut off the top and separated the steel disc from the body off the filter. I took off the end caps and fitted the disc between the muffler and end cap and wouldn't you know, it sounds great! Just the right amount of back pressure to give it a nice sound at idle and cruise, but free flowing when I get on the throttle.

Here is a picture as you are looking at the muffler from behind. Maybe I'm done now.

Attached Thumbnails Are you ever done?-img_1689.jpg  
Old 03-02-2016, 11:31 AM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay
I swore that when I bought my Ultra Limited, That I wouldn't need to do anything to it as it comes with everything from the MoCo. Then I rode it and my right foot was burning so I replaced the head pipe with Cobra PowerPort Duels. Then I put the K&N 1614 air cleaner which of course meant I had to adjust the fuel delivery, so I bought the Fl-Vieds. Messed around with that for a while and started with the slip ons. Tried drilling some addition relief holes in the stock cans. Didn't like it. Put my old PowerMaster mufflers with 2" baffles on. To loud. Tried some CVO mufflers. Way to quiet (I think they were quieter than the stock mufflers). I now have a set of SE Street Cannons. Along the way somewhere I switched out the Fl-Vieds for a FP3.

Went out on Sunday for a few hours and I still can't seem to find the right exhaust tone for me. So I have been thinking about what to put in the exhaust to act as a baffle to give some back pressure to the exhaust (the Street Cannons are the newer version with a straight through baffle). I looked at smaller diameter baffles to put inside the existing baffles but decided against that. I was going to get flat stock, cut out a disc, drill holes and mount between muffler and end caps. I was thinking about how to do this when the light bulb went off in my head. I had two old oil filters laying around. I cut off the top and separated the steel disc from the body off the filter. I took off the end caps and fitted the disc between the muffler and end cap and wouldn't you know, it sounds great! Just the right amount of back pressure to give it a nice sound at idle and cruise, but free flowing when I get on the throttle.

Here is a picture as you are looking at the muffler from behind. Maybe I'm done now.
nope, you won't be done!! It's a addiction

Old 03-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Twospot
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay

I feel you. I bought my bike last June, and there is a ton I want to do with it. So far I did windshield, handguards, Daymaker, BAL-1, I just received my V&H FP3, My Custom Dynamics LED turn signal kit is on its way, this month I'll be doing the air cleaner and exhaust (still trying to figure out which one), oh I bought the TOM TOM Rider 400 GPS, and lastly yesterday I ordfered a J&S jack because I am going start working on it myself.

Still on the list is custom paint, new bars, some powder coating of the front end.... I think that's all my brain can take right now LOL

Old 03-02-2016, 12:07 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I did all my major, costly modding on my bike the first 2-3 weeks I had it. Since then, not very much at all.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

i have a few items to install when it gets a little warmer, but not much else to do to a fatboy low. unless you replace things with may look cooler in your mind. i like to listen to my pipes every now and then, but if i can hear them over my tunes, then i need to turn up the volume on my mp3 player

Old 03-02-2016, 12:33 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,739 Likes on 6,190 Posts

Far be it from me to rain on your parade, but I've been riding the same Shovelhead for over 35 years, and it's almost perfect now. Sorta.
So you've got that to look forward to.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Other than routine maintenance, I'm done.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,661 Likes on 934 Posts

I bought my Sporty, first bike, last summer. Why would I need to do anything to it, I reasoned? Ha ha. Since then...windshield, slip-ons, seat, engine guard, tail bag, new horn...and I'm sure there's a few more things to come.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:48 PM
slick10
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'm done! I don't want to screw with perfection

Okay fine!! I'm not done, only pausing to catch my breath, i mean my wallet

Last edited by slick10; 03-02-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 12:48 PM
RKCruzin'
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I always tell people: Buying the bike is the CHEAP part! It's all the s**t afterwards...............

I inherited an '09 UC. Low miles, but stock. No "cost" to me. Cool deal!

THEN, I decided I wanted different wheels..............naturally, you need chrome forks and sliders.......well, and new grips......and.....and.......Geez! 6 months later, could have bought a new bike!

But, I love it!!

Quick Reply: Are you ever done?