General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long did it take...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Yellie74
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long did it take...?

Hey guys,

I'm a new rider and bought my Iron about a month ago. I passed my MSF course two weeks ago and have taken my bike out twice so far. The first time was ok, I was a little nervous but the 2nd time I was a little shaken because I practice in a school parking lot that's about 2 1/2 blocks from my house and on my way there (which I try to go during the least amount of traffic time), driving about 20 mph, a car came up behind me driving very close and I became very nervous and when turning left into the parking lot I rolled on the throttle and sped up onto the curb and on the sidewalk. I was a little scared but I did regain control of the bike and made it safely in the parking lot. On my way home I kinda lost my confidence. I guess my question is how long did it take for you to get comfortable riding and where did u practice?

Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 PM
HGMC_GB
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellie74
Hey guys,

I'm a new rider and bought my Iron about a month ago. I passed my MSF course two weeks ago and have taken my bike out twice so far. The first time was ok, I was a little nervous but the 2nd time I was a little shaken because I practice in a school parking lot that's about 2 1/2 blocks from my house and on my way there (which I try to go during the least amount of traffic time), driving about 20 mph, a car came up behind me driving very close and I became very nervous and when turning left into the parking lot I rolled on the throttle and sped up onto the curb and on the sidewalk. I was a little scared but I did regain control of the bike and made it safely in the parking lot. On my way home I kinda lost my confidence. I guess my question is how long did it take for you to get comfortable riding and where did u practice?
**** that driver behind you. The more you get out the more confident you will feel. My advice is take the bike around your neighborhood. Go through all the gears if possible, get a feel of your bike when you hammer the throttle from 1 to 2 to 3 etc and back down the gears. Get use to the "jerky" motion so it doesnt scare you. Get use to it when you just ride "normal" too. Make multiple stops and learn to turn with a little traffic. Learn and get a feel with you lean into a turn etc..Only way you get better/comfortable is get back on it and just ride. you will be just fine

The following users liked this post:
Yellie74 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:29 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Just keep doing what your doing. What you're feeling is normal. You'll know when you're ready.

Yellie74 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 PM
bjewell
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 347 Likes on 133 Posts

You'll be fine...

Old 03-02-2016, 09:33 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Ride as much as you can, even if you just back it out of the garage, go round your block twice and come home and do that a few times. Then go out Sunday morning early, when it's quiet, go a little further on roads you know well, then come home. Keep building on what you've done, a bit further each time.

Do you have a friend that is willing to go out with you some Sunday mornings? Follow the friend, go for breakfast and then call it a day. The more you do in small increments the more confident you'll feel. Give it a couple months.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:43 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,186 Likes on 11,113 Posts

You should never get comfortable riding. Ride like everyone is trying to kill you. Let your gaurd down, you go down.

The following 3 users liked this post by upflying:
Donnybrook (04-12-2016), grumble (03-14-2016), markfsanderson (04-14-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 PM
Philphine
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Ride as much as you can, even if you just back it out of the garage, go round your block twice and come home and do that a few times. Then go out Sunday morning early, when it's quiet, go a little further on roads you know well, then come home. Keep building on what you've done, a bit further each time.

Do you have a friend that is willing to go out with you some Sunday mornings? Follow the friend, go for breakfast and then call it a day. The more you do in small increments the more confident you'll feel. Give it a couple months.
that's how I did it when I restarted riding a few years back. early Saturdays and Sundays I'd go out for a ride. by the time I was heading back close to home traffic would be picking up and if I felt too nervous about I'd head on home, 'til I was riding later and later into the day. I also picked a really easy route to work (nearly all neighborhood type streets) and that was about my only weekday riding for the first bit.

it's how I got more used to highway riding later too. early morning, ride out on a secondary road out of the city, then hop on the x-way to come back. I could get used to highway speeds with little traffic, then get more used to other cars around me as I got back towards the city. again, I'd hop off the x-way if I didn't feel comfortable and get back on the surface streets.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Others have already given you good advice. Only thing I'll add, is don't ever be afraid to miss your turn if someone behind you is following too close and you're not sure if they're gonna rear end you. Best to go a little farther and find a place to turn around.

Yellie74 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 09:56 PM
sire86
Tourer
Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

All of the above. + Check out the " ride like a pro " dvd's / books, you can find short videos of them on u tube. It helped me a lot when I first got my bike. Congrats on your iron

https://www.ridelikeapro.com

Last edited by sire86; 03-02-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Yellie74 (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, my dad made me read a couple of Keith Code's books, but practice came by way of a much smaller whip than an 883 and on dirt roads.

I like the suggestion of riding with someone. Do you have anyone you know and trust who with whip and an open saturday/sunday morning?

I do congratulate you for being able to ride home after a shake up. Stay the course... deep breaths... short trips... and I know it will be hard to do try your best not to let a car behind you intimidate you. If that happens... signal or put your flashers on and pull over. Recompose and execute that left turn maneuver when you are ready (and of course the coast is clear).

Yellie74 (03-03-2016)

Quick Reply: How long did it take...?