General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering trading in but don't trust my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 02:01 PM
jdoxakis
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Considering trading in but don't trust my dealer

The only reason why Im even considering it is because all of them were fired.....

Last year we went to our local Harley dealer. My husband somehow managed to get approval on a bike........literally one bike on their lot......funny thing is the one he wanted was actually cheaper. Didnt make sense but he didnt care.

He was so high on the fact he FINALLY had a bike that we missed that they removed things off the bike before they handed it over. We had taken a pic of it before our app was approved. We didnt realize it until he got pulled over....no turn signals on the back.

Shortly after it died and my mechanic (who is my brother) said the battery was bad and brakes were also bad. Which that by itself isnt a problem it is the custom work off the chopped fender making it a problem to install signals on the back. Still trying to find the darn part I need. There is a particular pigtail he needs and is having trouble locating one.

It has been in my brothers possession for nearly a year....he is familiar with Harleys but has never seen one setup like this one. At this point we are just about to give up and trade it in. We are in good standing with them and almost paid off.....i just worry about getting duped again.

I suspect they gave him that bike since they wanted to get it off their hands....we wanted one with a passenger seat with sissy bar....ended up with a single seat. Turns out even with the seat we bought to allow me to ride the chopped fender means i get wet if it rains.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Chester (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 02:05 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

I read it, but I'm not sure I understood - you left the dealer without realizing the bike did not have rear directionals?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoxakis
The only reason why Im even considering it is because all of them were fired.....

Last year we went to our local Harley dealer. My husband somehow managed to get approval on a bike........literally one bike on their lot......funny thing is the one he wanted was actually cheaper. Didnt make sense but he didnt care.

He was so high on the fact he FINALLY had a bike that we missed that they removed things off the bike before they handed it over. We had taken a pic of it before our app was approved. We didnt realize it until he got pulled over....no turn signals on the back.

Shortly after it died and my mechanic (who is my brother) said the battery was bad and brakes were also bad. Which that by itself isnt a problem it is the custom work off the chopped fender making it a problem to install signals on the back. Still trying to find the darn part I need. There is a particular pigtail he needs and is having trouble locating one.

It has been in my brothers possession for nearly a year....he is familiar with Harleys but has never seen one setup like this one. At this point we are just about to give up and trade it in. We are in good standing with them and almost paid off.....i just worry about getting duped again.

I suspect they gave him that bike since they wanted to get it off their hands....we wanted one with a passenger seat with sissy bar....ended up with a single seat. Turns out even with the seat we bought to allow me to ride the chopped fender means i get wet if it rains.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:14 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,579 Likes on 9,802 Posts

I wouldn't trust them either, but not just cause they are HD car dealers fall into the same category IMO.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:23 PM
StoneyFatBoy
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

Two questions why buy a bike that you did not want ? How did you not notice the turn signals were not on the bike when you were picking it up ?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:44 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I think there is more to this story thats not going to be told.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,579 Likes on 9,802 Posts

I suppose you could use hand signals?

Old 03-03-2016, 02:50 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,748 Likes on 6,193 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoxakis
It has been in my brothers possession for nearly a year....
Battery, brakes and turn signals is about one afternoon's worth of work. Tell him he works too slow.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:50 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

This post sounds vaguely familiar...you and your kids didn't get kicked out a dealership before, did you?

Seriously, you'd think the bike would have directionals on it...matter of fact, if they were installed as original equipment, I think it's illegal for the dealer to sell it without 'em. Either way, you didn't notice this when you took delivery?

And you wanted a bike for two-up but bought one with a solo seat? I think that one's on you, too.

Finally, you do know that if you're on a motorcycle in the rain, there's a 100% probability you're gonna get wet.

The following 2 users liked this post by UUNetBill:
kingxirol (03-04-2016), Uncle Chester (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,271 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Huh? Your brother is a mechanic and you didn't have him check it out before you bought it?

Quick Reply: Considering trading in but don't trust my dealer