General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Girlfriend wants a bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:00 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Girlfriend wants a bike

Shes got a lot of seat time, as a passenger. Shes signed up for the Riders Edge course. She wants a bike. Wont settle for anything less than a Harley. Ive told her I cant really help her pick THE bike, She is just gonna have to put her *** in the saddle. Im trying to lean her towards the Forty Eight. Smaller bike with the bigger front tire. Shes small, like 5'3, Maybe 110 pounds. Any suggestions to help with the issue. Its easy to pick out a bike you want, But helping someone else find what they want is just about impossible... I need some guidance.. Ive told her she can look at bikes online all day, but trips to the dealer is whats gotta happen.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:07 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

You're spot on. Lots of time at the dealer, see what fits, let her know that most bikes can be tailored to fit anyone. Depending on what kind of riding she wants to do, she can get just about anything. Girl I used to work with was maybe a bit taller but rode a Heritage Softail like she stole it. Lot of the softies carry their weight low. She needs to sit and fit, then ride the finalists...

Old 03-03-2016, 03:30 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Take her to test ride some bikes, that she can touch the ground with her feet flat on it.

Luckily, my wife's 4'11" and there's no way she can or wants to ride. Besides, we can't afford one bike, much less two.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:33 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Have her sit on a Slim too.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:36 PM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Maybe wait until after she successfully completes the riders course and gets her endorsement. She may have better insight then.

The following users liked this post:
georgewerr (03-04-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 03:36 PM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

Take her to a local dealer that has Demo days, they pull many versions and you can sign up to ride them all. If there is one in particular that she is interested in many will roll one out even if not on the list.
I would say do not rule out the low rider. I have seen many a petite female brand new rider roll right out on one of those. If a bike is proper fit a rider can ease into the power.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:43 PM
Aggressor05
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The sportsters have a high seat height compared to a dyna low rider, that center of gravity is a huge difference even though the dyna is a heavier bike. this is just an opinion of mine (my ex wife was 5 foot tall & 95 lbs, we were at a dealership & she could barely get a sportster off the kickstand & the she went over & got on a dyna & picked it right up off the kickstand) hope this helps with your search.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:47 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
.. I need some guidance..
Have her join here, then go down to the Lady's only section, read and ask questions from the pro's about choosing a bike for a lady.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:53 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,847 Likes on 2,804 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
Maybe wait until after she successfully completes the riders course and gets her endorsement. She may have better insight then.
Then go to your local HD dealer and test ride the ones she likes.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:58 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Yup^^.

She really won't have any idea at all about what she might like, or how scary this might be, until after the course.

Then, she can do some test rides.

Before that, we're just a bunch of people on the internet, and our opinions are meaningless. Good luck! I hope she really takes to it. I'd love to have my wife ride with me, but she's just not interested.

Quick Reply: Girlfriend wants a bike