General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muddy Flood got me. Need to flush. OMG

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 09:24 PM
Hansome
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Muddy Flood got me. Need to flush. OMG

Garage got flooded, muddy water up to the bottom of my fuel tank. I had a pail of used oil, about two gallons, got mixed in with the muddy crappy freaking water that got in. Garage is a mess, greasy oily residue about 3 feet up the walls. So, I need to flush the oil, fuel tank, primary, fork tubes on my 05 1200r. I am pretty sure the **** got into my carb, and top end. Is there any easy way to flush this? I am sooooooo Fuc*ing bummed out.

The following users liked this post:
LovelaceJR (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:40 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

do all the other **** first.....then.....Take the spark plugs out and spray some oil in there and turn it over a few times...put a cloth of the spark plug hole while turning it over......gonna spray pretty good.....repeat...that will remove anything in there and lube it up.........if ya can, remove the carb and flush/clean with clean gas........good luck!

Old 03-05-2016, 09:47 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,205 Likes on 11,117 Posts

Is it insured?, Flood damage will total it.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Is it insured?, Flood damage will total it.
If you have flood insurance this is the likely outcome, however I'd pop the plugs and run it over to make sure you don't have water in the cylinders & lowerend, check the oil afterward to see if any water got pumped back into the oil tank. If the insurance is a no go do what the first poster suggested and don't forget the wheel & swingarm bearing replacement. Sooner is better on the plugs tip.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Hansome
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The insurance company has paid on the claim. And I got to keep the bike, for accepting 2300 less than they offered. So, I bought it, wanting to clean it up. But brother it is filthy. Should I remove the heads or just try to simplify things with the oil in the spark plug hole? Jeez, If I could jst do this, it would be easier.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:45 AM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

The engine is the easy part, if the electronics were compromised you will have real headaches.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:25 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Whatever got into the carb and maybe the cylinders, would have to go through the air filter, so there shouldn't be any big chunks. I'd drop some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders and let it sit for a few days to soften any rust that may have formed, and I'd change the oil in the tank before starting the engine. If the cylinders do get scuffed, you can re-ring, and hone the cylinders. I'd pull the gas tank and put some dielectric grease in all the connectors.
Dirt bikes and "Adventure" bikes get dropped in rivers all the time, and they don't get "totaled".

Last edited by RK4ME; 03-06-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:30 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Oh brother... Im also recovering from a massive flood. 14 inches in the basement when both sump pumps failed... 2 weeks and still cleaning and fixing... Good luck with everything

The following users liked this post:
Hansome (03-10-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Roadflyer
Road Master
Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

Your fork tubes are sealed and nothing should have got in there, so you can cross that off your list.
Add wheel bearings though.

Quite a few years ago, My wife rolled my car over the bank and into the river. It was in 4 ft of water for an hour or two.
It took me six months to repair everything and do all the body work.
I thought I was done, the car looked like new again.
I didn't get 50 ft down the road before I realized all the wheel bearings were rusted. Within a few months, I had to replace the Alternator, distributor, starter and rad fan.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,205 Likes on 11,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Hansome
The insurance company has paid on the claim. And I got to keep the bike, for accepting 2300 less than they offered. So, I bought it, wanting to clean it up. But brother it is filthy. Should I remove the heads or just try to simplify things with the oil in the spark plug hole? Jeez, If I could jst do this, it would be easier.
Does that mean your bike has a salvage title?

Quick Reply: Muddy Flood got me. Need to flush. OMG