General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 2008 Softail FXSTC custom need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Buying 2008 Softail FXSTC custom need advice!

Hi,

Im about to buy a softail custom fxstc, 2008 with 8k miles in it. Hes asking $9,900. It looks beautiful, has V&H pipes. Tires are original so they need replacing and no service records (he's a dealer, but says he got it from original owner) kbb and nada say 10k, anything i should lookout for? How about the price? If i took it to dealership to check out is it worth the money? Thanks for any replies.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:35 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,200 Posts

I just finished this search. I was looking for either a fxstc or a wide glide of this era. Being the season is starting and the bike is clean, I'd say it was on the high side of fair IF its turn key with no maint issues. After you do tires your at 10.3k.. That's high.. Me, I'd want that bike at 8800 to 9200 all in including cost of tires..

The following users liked this post:
saltlick (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 12:08 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

It's a bit on the high side, but if you really like it then it's a good deal for you. I would still negotiate the price down. It's a dealer so he likely has some wiggle room.
I would definitely get it checked out by a mechanic, easily worth the $100 it should cost you.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:55 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by nevil
It's a bit on the high side, but if you really like it then it's a good deal for you. I would still negotiate the price down. It's a dealer so he likely has some wiggle room.
I would definitely get it checked out by a mechanic, easily worth the $100 it should cost you.
Yes, i am going to take it in....he was all for me taking it to the local HD shop to have it checked out...thats always a good sign when they have no problem with that. I have no idea what is a fair price though right now if it does check out. Bike doesnt have a scratch on it, with 8K miles and really nice full set of V&H pipes. I know the KBB is 10K (so is Nada) and im all for giving someone a decent deal....but i know people also list bikes for more than they think they will get only because they know people will talk them down. There is no service records that come with this, no history either other than he said he bought it from the original owner. That and the tires need to be replaced. I guess my question is, are bikes selling for the KBB value right now? Any ideas how low a dealer will go (thats dealing out of his garage).

Old 03-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Hotrodz_n_Harleyz
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If the bike checks out mechanically, and he's asking 9900 for it. Offer him 9500... he'll almost surely take it if you have cash, put tires on it, and smile all the way down the road.

saltlick (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 02:03 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

Hard to tell how low he can go, depending on how much or little he's into the bike. If he's buried in it he may not be able to move much. Look around on used bike sites and Craigslist and see what the asking prices are for similar bikes. Better to be armed with that info ahead of time.
There's nothing wrong with you offering $8K. You're not trying to make a friend, you're trying to do business. It's doubtful you'll make a deal at that but you will find out how flexible the price is. Hopefully you can come out somewhere in the middle.
If the bike has been dealer serviced they can look up the service history on the computer.

saltlick (03-07-2016)
Old 03-07-2016, 05:19 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

If you like the bike, and really want it, and the price is in line with NADA and KBB, and you don't want to offer too low, and it has checked out ok at the dealership, then ask him what is the least he will take for it considering it needs new tires and a 10K mile service within a month of you getting it. Sorry about the long sentence. Good luck and enjoy the ride. I had a 1996 FXSTC and loved it.

saltlick (03-07-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 08:14 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Sounds like a nice bike - please let us know how you make out

Old 03-10-2016, 11:53 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

anyone know what harley dealership does during a lemon check? Im just wondering if its anything i cant do. I dont have any diagnostic tools, or compression check gauges but im not that lame when it comes to motors and bikes.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:31 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Little confused here. The seller is a "dealer" but is selling it out of his garage? Meaning he has or claims to have some dealer license? He bought it from the original owner, is the title an open title, "signed" by the original owner but never titled in the current seller/dealer name? None of this may or may not create a problem for you, but I'd want to know the status clearly.

Even if he has no service records, if you can identify where the previous owner lived, you can go to the local HD dealer and with the VIN ask if they did service and get a copy.

Quick Reply: Buying 2008 Softail FXSTC custom need advice!