General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need a little wire routing advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:11 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,203 Posts
Default need a little wire routing advice

I bought a new for me WG. The bike has a ton of mods but many of them look like theyre hung on the bike - not 'installed'.. Most of these I can take care of..

The bike has highway hoops with halogen lamps, relocated turnsignals to the forks and swapped out rear directionals - all hi dollar stuff. The wiring is perfect BUT the wires are all exposed and held on by wire ties. I think it looks sloppy.

What have you guys done to clean this up?

Thanks!
Kevin

Old 03-09-2016, 08:35 AM
mdm
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It's kind of hard to tell you what to do from here. I'd pull the seat and fuel tank and just start rerunning the wires. Just be sure they don't end up being pinched when the seat and tank go back on. If you take your time you can get them tucked away and clean up the looks a lot. There will likely be places where the wires will have to be exposed but you can minimize it and secure them well.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,626 Likes on 4,623 Posts

how about a pic or two? are you talking on the highway bars, the wiring is bad?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:27 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member

Guys thanks for the help... The wires are perfectly installed but where they are in the line of site (on top of the highway bars and the stalks of the signals, the wire is wrapped around and held in place with black zip ties. It looks sloppy.

Charlie - As soon as the bike arrives, Ill post some pics..

Thanks again
Kevin

Old 03-09-2016, 10:27 AM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

If you are talking about the wires on the highway bars to the lights then I would use some of that nice loom they have out now. Like this stuff:
Amazon.com : Braided Expandable Sleeve Hose Loom Automotive 3/4" .75 Inch Car Truck 20 FOOT FEET ROLL : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Braided Expandable Sleeve Hose Loom Automotive 3/4" .75 Inch Car Truck 20 FOOT FEET ROLL : Car Electronics

They make it in a split style for tidying up wires that are already connected, and a tube style that you feed wires through before you connect them. They also make it in any color of the rainbow so you could do a silver and it would hide on chrome some.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:32 AM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Can you drill some small holes in the highway bars and route the wires for the halogen lights inside like some do on handlebars? Not sure about a solution for the turn signals but, as harleycharley said, a picture would help.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,626 Likes on 4,623 Posts

If the wires on the bars is visible, I'd drill a hole in the bars and run the wiring thru it to the spot where you can reintroduce them to the frame of the bike where its the least visible. You can use a small rubber grommet where the wires enter and exit to keep chafing down. For the turn signals, its harder. What I might do is go to headwinds, and they have signals that mount close to the headlight. that will shorten the wire lengths and you can run the wires close to the neck and basically out of sight. I don't use that wire covering, its looks as bad or worse than the exposed wires and in my opinion adds attention to them> the idea is to make them disappear, and that is one of the hard things in building/customizing a bike. Let me see some pics and maybe I can get some other ideas to help you out!

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 03-09-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:58 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Default great idea!

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
If the wires on the bars is visible, I'd drill a hole in the bars and run the wiring thru it to the spot where you can reintroduce them to the frame of the bike where its the least visible. You can use a small rubber grommet where the wires enter and exit to keep chafing down. For the turn signals, its harder. What I might do is go to headwinds, and they have signals that mount close to the headlight. that will shorten the wire lengths and you can run the wires close to the neck and basically out of sight. I don't use that wire covering, its looks as bad or worse than the exposed wires and in my opinion adds attention to them> the idea is to make them disappear, and that is one of the hard things in building/customizing a bike. Let me see some pics and maybe I can get some other ideas to help you out!

I like the idea on the highway bars.. The dealer is putting fresh rubber and detailing the bike. When she comes home next week, ill post pix..

Thanks again to all