General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally Got To Ride This Year!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 02:48 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finally Got To Ride This Year!

How about you? Have you finally got a chance for the first ride of the year? Where did your first ride take you?

I live in Mid-Michigan and we've been having some above average temps. Yesterday, March 8th, my dirt road was dry enough to ride for a block to meet the pavement. It was 69 degrees while the wife and I headed out for a very comfortable end of winter ride. I headed to the Cass River near Tuscola / Vassar area and took one of my very favorite hilly, curvy, next to a river, routes.

I recorded this short segment of this area last fall. In the clip I start out with a short WOT run. If you were to freeze the frame when the speedo comes back into view for a split second you'll see just how fast I was going before slowing for the first curve. I was riding a little aggressive, but not all out.

The accessory microphone I use was too close to the tranny and picked up some additional noises. I've recently added an extension to the mike holder so it now centers over the back fender, just under the license plate. Sounds much better just hearing the pipes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VXNjc49ZBaA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Our last ride had been on Christmas day. It was 52 and sunny. We rode for almost 3 hours.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:33 PM
rjo3491
Road Master
Received 150 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm downstate and got out the warm weekend we had last month (I think it was the 20th), but I didn't have to deal with any dirt roads. That was the first time I'd ever ridden a bike in February - this winter has been crazy! Enjoy your Summer and ride safe!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:37 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

haven't really stopped riding except for a few times the roads were full of salt.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:03 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
haven't really stopped riding except for a few times the roads were full of salt.
Same here but it was rain...like this week...not salt.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:13 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

RJO3491,

Last time I rode in February was last year on the 10th to test drive my new bike before signing the paperwork. I had to be the only biker on the road in Michigan that freezing cold day.

I would have been out earlier this year with all the mild weather we've been having, between excessive snowfalls. But my road gets so sloppy muddy it wouldn't be safe to attempt to ride through it. I just didn't feel like strapping the bike to the trailer and towing it to the pavement. I've thought about doing that if ever desirable weather / road conditions warrant it.

We're getting a good amount of rain today which will wash away the current salt covered roads. I'm hoping for the last time this winter. Good thing too, Friday and Saturday, along with several other opportunities over the next couple of weeks in the high 50s to mid 60s and clear. We're running 20 to 30 degrees above average.

KNGPN,

Do you often get chances to drive like this during winter in Massachusetts?

ChickinOnachain,

Texas sure has been getting more than their share of bad weather this winter. Hope your safe down there.

It must be nice to be able to ride most all year in Texas?

Old 03-10-2016, 06:19 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,026 Likes on 506 Posts

I rode every month expect January this year in Wisconsin. When the roads are cold be very careful of the painted arrows on round a bouts they are slippery as I have learned.
Not sure why so much paint is used telling us it's a circle I picked up on that right away just by looking at one. In Wisconsin the roads are so straight and flat that when we see a round a bout we get excited just to be able to lean hard into a corner.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:26 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,119 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC

KNGPN,

Do you often get chances to drive like this during winter in Massachusetts?

This winter has been very mild snow and cold wise. So we haven't had a lot of salt thrown down, and any salt didn't last long because we got more rain than snow. Despite being mild overall, I was still riding in the 20s. Also the roads didn't get beat up with pot holes like last year..

Last year was so bad with cold and snow, the potholes, cracked pavement and salt were horrendous. it was May before you could really get out. I bought a dual sport partially to help lengthen my ride season. and partially because I just wanted one. With the long suspension, and all the plastic, they're great for winter/crappy weather riding and it takes the bumps and holes just a little better than my SB.