General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding great therapy for both mind and body

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:33 AM
turbotom1052
Road Master
Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Riding great therapy for both mind and body

We all know the mental health benefits that come with riding, but Id like to talk for a sec. about the physical benefits. For the past 2 weeks I've been struggling with my lower back problems that have flared up to the point of making me pretty much immobile. Its the worst flareup I've encountered over the last 5 years or so. The prednisone I usually take as a miracle drug when this happens wasn't doing much to ease the pain. In addition Aleve wasnt doing much either.
Yesterdays forecast here in southern Vermont called for mid 60s. I was bummed at not being able to take advantage of the first chance to ride since putting the bike away for the winter. At around 10 am a friend who is retired like me came calling on his scoot. He convinced me to give it a shot. I wasn't very optimistic about my ability to ride but I figured what the hell. If I made it into town down 1 mile of dirt road I could always turn back if the pain was too much. Past experience has taught me that riding when my back was hurting usually resulted in my feeling better, but I never thought that it would make a difference considering how bad this flareup was. Wouldn't ya know.... after half hour on the bike the pain began to ease. By an hour I was actually feeling pretty decent. We wound up doing a 5 hour day in the saddle and wouldn't you know it that by the time we stopped for lunch I was able to walk without a limp. Five hours and close to 200 miles later I was pretty tired but no longer in pain.
Im convinced that between the vibration in my softail seat, and the rolling motion of my hips from steering the bike, my pain was minimized. Of course I'm sure that the throttle therapy to my mind helped a bit too.
Any one else experience this sort of thing from riding?

The following users liked this post:
sunderhill (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 09:44 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

Yes! I live in chronic pain from my injuries as a result of being a rescue worker at the WTC. Part of my Auto Immune Disease is horrible joint and muscle pain. Winter is unbearable. Like you, I was able to get out for about 5 hours yesterday. Pain did not go away, but was much more tolerable. I was exhausted last night, but I slept pretty good. RWT (Right Wrist Therapy)!!!

Old 03-10-2016, 12:15 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I have bad knees and shoulders from heavy weight lifting for 25+ years and after an hour, my shoulder are killing me. It used to be 2 hours but I guess old age is catching up with me.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have to agree, the rides do tend to alleviate some of the pain...stupid lower back crap...

Old 03-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

http://www.scooterfile.com/sf-featur...or-your-brain/
Trial subjects were otherwise healthy people who had not ridden for 10 years or more. Over the course of a couple of months, those riders used a motorcycle for their daily commute and in other everyday situations while Dr Kawashima and his team studied how their brains and mental health changed.
The upshot was that the use of motorcycles in everyday life improved cognitive faculties, particularly those that relate to memory and spatial reasoning capacity. An added benefit? Participants revealed on questionnaires they filled out at the end of the study that their stress levels had been reduced and their mental state changed for the better.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I think doing anything that takes your mind off the pain is helpful.
Riding a bike is great therapy!

Old 03-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 602 Likes on 325 Posts

It helps me with my back pain and still does a number on clearing my head. Great Medicine .

Old 03-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 329 Likes on 179 Posts

I will agree with this. I thought for sure my lower back would kill me when I started riding. It flairs up all the time. I have never felt ANY pain while riding and even feel better after a 5 hour ride then before I started. Riding is the only activity that I do that I don't feel tired after doing it.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:34 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Unfortunately I have the exact opposite result. But I still love riding whenever I can.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Johnnyh14
Road Warrior
Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

Chronic nerve pain in the lowers. Riding make me relax physically and mentally.

Quick Reply: Riding great therapy for both mind and body