General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different type of oil thread...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 11:18 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts
Default A different type of oil thread...

I went to check the oil in my bike and yes, I admit, I had to look at the manual to see if the cap gets screwed in or not.
Anyway, I was looking at the Service Manual, and as I was reading in the changing the oil and checking it section, it said when you fill it up to never have the oil above the full Hot line when it is cold.
I don't know how much oil overfilled that would be, but was wondering, I know you're not supposed to overfill any engine, but what would happen on a Harley engine like the 103 High Output if the oil was over filled?
Any ideas?
Anyone know of anyone that overfilled their bike, and if they had any problems?

Old 03-10-2016, 11:29 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,270 Likes on 11,143 Posts

It'll blow out the crankcase breather when overfilled. If you have an OEM air cleaner...you'll get oil inside the filter, and more injested into the throttle body. If you have an aftermarket Air Cleaner, you'll get oil coming out the filter, and on the engine, pipes, your legs, and if you have a backseat commander all over her lovely designer jeans and boots .

Don't overfill!! RTFM!!

Old 03-11-2016, 07:03 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Ron, you need to go back and read it again, and look at the picture! Your oil level, when HOT, not cold, should not be above the "HOT" line on the dipstick. If you fill it to that point when cold, you have definitely overfilled it.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 03-11-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:03 AM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Ron, you need to go back and read it again, and look at the picture! Your oil level, when HOT, not cold, should not be above the "HOT" line on the dipstick. If you fill it to that point when cold, you have definitely overfilled it.
Yes, that is true. The manual says it is supposed to be in the middle of the grid when Cold, but for some reason the manual says when the bike is Cold, never have the oil level above Hot line, which, I would imagine would make it maybe about quart over filled. I was wondering as mentioned above what problems would it cause if it were overfilled.

I haven't needed to add any oil to my bike yet between oil changes, but I only have about 6,000 miles on it.

My 04 Ultra Classic, I had to check it every time I rode it, because it used about a quart of oil about every 3,000 miles.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:57 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyron
Yes, that is true. The manual says it is supposed to be in the middle of the grid when Cold, but for some reason the manual says when the bike is Cold, never have the oil level above Hot line, which, I would imagine would make it maybe about quart over filled. I was wondering as mentioned above what problems would it cause if it were overfilled.

I haven't needed to add any oil to my bike yet between oil changes, but I only have about 6,000 miles on it.

My 04 Ultra Classic, I had to check it every time I rode it, because it used about a quart of oil about every 3,000 miles.

I don't get it.
Are you saying the owners manual and shop manual contradict each other? They don't.
Seems straight forward enough to me. Keep the oil level in the middle and you're always golden.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:09 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboyron
...but for some reason the manual says when the bike is Cold, never have the oil level above Hot line...
You are simply misreading and misinterpreting the two conflicting statements in the manual. (Misleading statements in H-D literature?!? Say it isn't so!!)

Two paragraphs before your statement it says:

"Note: Oil level on a cold engine should never be above the midway point". This is correct.

Then it says:

"Never bring the level to the FULL HOT mark on a cold engine".

Obviously, that is misleading, since it clearly implies that filling a hot engine to the 3/4 mark would be ok, and that is dead wrong.

What they "meant" to say was what they said the first time.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 03-11-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:13 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 208 Likes on 105 Posts

if it get a little over it's not going hurt any thing. I've done it b for bike still runs fine. and oil didn't blow all over the place.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:01 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Reading a little into this... If you did overfill your oil level.. just get a New turkey baster and suck some of the oil out of your oil tank... Most of us fill the oil level to 1/2 way between the low and high oil mark on the dipstick when cold.

PS don't sneak and use the one your wife uses in the kitchen ,, or if you do, buy her a new one.... then you'll have one in the garage...~~~~~