General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

non-std size battery setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 09:14 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default non-std size battery setup

Ok I'm mounting the new smaller sized anti gravity Lithium battery, its the YTX12-24 720 CCA battery, in my 2002 dyna superglide. The battery obviously is smaller in dimension. I used foamboard for packing to keep battery fitted nice and tight, no movement . So any suggestions for this setup or anyone have any ideas of another way of doing this or see any issues?

Old 03-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Question on the battery;

I use lithium batteries on my cordless tools and they work very well, however the one thing that I don't like is when it's out of power it just dies without any indicator.

This isn't an issue with cordless tools because I have 4 batteries, but on a bike how do you know if the lithium battery is going out, does it just die?

My 4 year old HD battery needs to be replaced.
I can tell because after a few days of sitting without the tender it's slow to start the bike.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:04 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

That foam board stuff tends to squeak a lot, when moving around. And it will compress and then won't fit well. I would suggest using some high density insulation foam or other type of closed cell rubber that you can pack in there. I have some sheet Rubatex that works great for something like that.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:06 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Question on the battery;

I use lithium batteries on my cordless tools and they work very well, however the one thing that I don't like is when it's out of power it just dies without any indicator.

This isn't an issue with cordless tools because I have 4 batteries, but on a bike how do you know if the lithium battery is going out, does it just die?

I can tell because after a few days of sitting without the tender it's slow to start the bike.
Not real concerned about battery going dead. For your battery I would ask around though . I needed the AG Lithium for the CCA's.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:07 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevil
That foam board stuff tends to squeak a lot, when moving around. And it will compress and then won't fit well. I would suggest using some high density insulation foam or other type of closed cell rubber that you can pack in there. I have some sheet Rubatex that works great for something like that.
Thanks, that is a good idea with the rubber.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:21 PM
madsonp
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Another thing about the type of foam you used is that if it gets wet it will retain the moisture and probably start causing corrosion issues.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:04 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluraven
Question on the battery;

Check out Shorai battery.

As to the foam, I'd look for a dense closed cell foam at a hobby store. I have some from an upholstery store that is handy, and was reasonably priced.

If you get a Shorai, it comes with the foam needed to secure the battery properly.

Last edited by frontiercat; 03-12-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:20 PM
Jondalar
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would love one of these batteries myself because of their lite weight, but I've heard the same thing. If your bike starts pretty quickly it's fine, but after a few seconds it falls off fast. Maybe we will find out on this thread.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:24 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jondalar
I would love one of these batteries myself because of their lite weight, but I've heard the same thing. If your bike starts pretty quickly it's fine, but after a few seconds it falls off fast. Maybe we will find out on this thread.
I've only ran the bike yesterday for first time and innitial start up wasn;t happening until I turned off one of the decompressions on each cylinder but this put the battery to the test and although I didn;t let it turn over more than a half dozen revolutions at a time , the battery did perform excellent.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

For the price of a lithium battery, unless I need the space I think I'll stick with traditional batteries until perhaps the technology becomes more commonplace.

That being said I think this is the future.

Quick Reply: non-std size battery setup