General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED replacement 'bulbs'

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:51 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts
Default LED replacement 'bulbs'

In searching through the various threads in the forum, there seemed to be lots of discussion on the different products, but I wonder if anyone might have insights to which product seems to be the best from a functionality point of view. I am speaking specifically on the replacement for the halogen in the later model RK...I think it is an H4?

From where I am coming from is a 90%+ daytime rider, who is looking to add a little more visibility - no need to replace entire headlight...others may (probably) have different, but maybe overlapping requirements.

Thoughts?

tnx

Edit: I guess I should have added: is this worth it? Is there enough difference?

Last edited by overthehill?; 03-26-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:11 AM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

DK Customs is what I went with for a replacement H4 bulb. Yes, it makes a lot of difference. I try not to ride at night either, but on my last ride I was a little later arriving home and I could tell a huge difference over the stock bulb.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:16 AM
BigAngus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the DK bulbs expensive? Im thinking of upgrading.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:25 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by overthehill?
In searching through the various threads in the forum, there seemed to be lots of discussion on the different products, but I wonder if anyone might have insights to which product seems to be the best from a functionality point of view. I am speaking specifically on the replacement for the halogen in the later model RK...I think it is an H4?

From where I am coming from is a 90%+ daytime rider, who is looking to add a little more visibility - no need to replace entire headlight...others may (probably) have different, but maybe overlapping requirements.

Thoughts?

tnx

Edit: I guess I should have added: is this worth it? Is there enough difference?
I bought my H4 direct plug and play from Amazon, $32 and both driving light LED's for $28. They have been installed for over a year, trouble free and 5 times more light. I don't have the specific brand, but they have 100's of reviews on Amazon. Do not buy the H4 conversion with the inline converter box.

Old 03-26-2016, 11:26 AM
overthehill?
Road Master
Received 166 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the replies....noodling around, I have seen prices all over the place, which is part of the reason for the post.

Also, I have seen posts that suggest that LED lights are less visible during the day than halogen...really?

Last edited by overthehill?; 03-26-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:33 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by BigAngus
Are the DK bulbs expensive? Im thinking of upgrading.
Can't remember what I paid. $59 or $69...good bulb though.

Last edited by cruzomatic; 03-27-2016 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:01 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by overthehill?
Thanks for the replies....noodling around, I have seen prices all over the place, which is part of the reason for the post.

Also, I have seen posts that suggest that LED lights are less visible during the day than halogen...really?
Led are less visible in daylight. That why I didn't change out my passing lights, which I use as DRL

The following users liked this post:
overthehill? (03-26-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 10:31 PM
jtarter
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I also went with the DK Customs replacement bulbs and they are much brighter. Went for a ride the other day and a cop heading the opposite direction honked his horn at me. I can only assume he thought my lights were on bright. This was during daylight hours. I have been on rides with others that have the Daymaker from HD and I couldn't tell if his headlight was even on. You would not be disappointed with the DK bulbs.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Jgity
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought mine off amazon. They were 80 bucks. Direct plug and play. Wow what a difference.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM
jgos929
Road Warrior
Received 219 Likes on 87 Posts

I got my bulbs form DK and they're awesome. You can definitely tell they're on during the day

Quick Reply: LED replacement 'bulbs'