General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped my bike at a light

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:34 AM
DiscoBayJoe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dropped my bike at a light

So I've got about 750 miles under my belt on the 2012 Road Glide Ultra. Had a great ride yesterday down highway 1...... Until I ever-so-gracefully dropped the bike at a light. I have short little 28" legs, had my girlfriend on the back (about 130#) and my foot slipped on an uneven surface. By the time my foot caught she was past the point of balance and I couldn't hold it up as the bike + passenger + gear was over 1000 pounds. My friend behind me said it looked like slow motion because I was using all my strength to lay it down gently. We both hopped off and we were able to pick it back up and go. A couple of scratches in the chrome on the front and rear crash bars, and luckily no damage to the bags or anything else that I can see.

Part of the problem is i'm on my tip-toes on both feet when I come to a stop. If I was flat-footed I don't think this would have happened. I'd like a touring-class low seat and i'm thinking maybe I should lower the rear suspension an inch?

Suggestions?

Last edited by DiscoBayJoe; 03-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

What sort of footwear did you have on at the time of your incident?

Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Coolaid
Banned
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Talk to Mean City for your seat needs.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoBayJoe (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:43 AM
DiscoBayJoe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TCX X-Grove GoreTex riding shoes.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member

Received 15,090 Likes on 6,141 Posts

I've had a few close ones when my foot kicked out from under me when I came to stop on gravel.
Another time my foot hung up on my floor board after I stopped.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts

Lower the bike so your feet are flat on the ground . It`ll make your riding more comfortable and stress free . my .02

Milz

Old 03-27-2016, 12:02 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
What sort of footwear did you have on at the time of your incident?
Acuz that's really really pertinent. Specially what colour.. Still foot wear is basics 101.
So it's hard to believe that matters here.
There are two kinds of riders : those who have already dropped their bike, those who haven't yet dropped their bike.. Hopefully in less embarrassing scene.. But yet public scrutiny shouldn't matter too much..
IIRC, Shotgun Shock has unit for touring models now.. If it even matters

Last edited by amkaos; 03-27-2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:12 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm 5'7 with 30' inseam riding a 2010 Ultra. I was uncomfortable on the bike with it feeling very top heavy. I can tell you from experience to get a low profile seat, lower the rear 1 inch and get you a good pair of boots. If you still feel uneasy and you have a tour pack try removing it. By making these changes it will feel like a different bike. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by C908:
crazytown (03-28-2016), DiscoBayJoe (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 12:17 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe
So I've got about 750 miles under my belt on the 2012 Road Glide Ultra. Had a great ride yesterday down highway 1...... Until I ever-so-gracefully dropped the bike at a light. I have short little 28" legs, had my girlfriend on the back (about 130#) and my foot slipped on an uneven surface. By the time my foot caught she was past the point of balance and I couldn't hold it up as the bike + passenger + gear was over 1000 pounds. My friend behind me said it looked like slow motion because I was using all my strength to lay it down gently. We both hopped off and we were able to pick it back up and go. A couple of scratches in the chrome on the front and rear crash bars, and luckily no damage to the bags or anything else that I can see.

Part of the problem is i'm on my tip-toes on both feet when I come to a stop. If I was flat-footed I don't think this would have happened. I'd like a touring-class low seat and i'm thinking maybe I should lower the rear suspension an inch?

Suggestions?
Anyone riding for a good amount of time will have dropped their bike. Sucks, but it happens. Scratches show that you actually ride the thing. There will be some dudes that come in here and tell you they've been "riding" for blah blah blah years and never dropped their bike.

There's a few options for the shorter legged folk:

Lower seat
Lowered suspension
Thicker sole BOOT

Obviously a different bike, but I'm sure you don't want to do that.

If you're on your tippy toes when at a stop, make sure you've really got some good traction on your boots. Because that doesn't leave you with a lot of surface contact traction, a little pile of sand could make you drop the bike again.

I've dropped my bike 2 1/2 times. Once when I left the fork lock on, and immediately turned left out of a tight downhill driveway, then went to turn right and of course... couldn't turn right so SPLAT at 5mph. Never used the fork lock again. Another time was at the same spot, just was in too much of a hurry, tipped over and was able to very slowly lower it to the ground. The 1/2 time was when I was parked with my left side to a dirt bank. Got on the bike, foot slipped in the dirt and I tipped against the dirt bank.

My bike is a little top heavy, for one thing it's a sportster, then you add in that I changed to 13" rear suspension and 4" over stock fork tubes lol.

Last edited by Dane M; 03-27-2016 at 12:26 PM.
DiscoBayJoe (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 12:20 PM
89FLHTC
Supporter
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Good riding boots with non-slip soles are worth their weight in gold. Get a pair with a tall heel. Sitting at a light with a passenger on your tippy toes is asking for trouble. Im glad neither of you were hurt. You can always have your current seat modified for a lower profile too.

DiscoBayJoe (03-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Dropped my bike at a light